T.K. Stewart reports that former junior middleweight titlist Fernando Vargas is back in training and hoping to return to the ring in 2010.
Earlier this year, Vargas was challenged by Hector Camacho Jr., who has floated between 140 and 175 pounds in his career, and Vargas seemed interested in a possible fight. Camacho (49-3-1, 27 KO) has one of the most artificially enhanced records in the sport, and is currently scheduled to face shot veteran Yori Boy Campas (92-14-1, 74 KO) on October 30 in Texas. Camacho called out Vargas following his August 29 win over Israel Cardona in Cleveland, a fight Vargas attended.
It's no secret that "El Feroz" has gotten fat in his time off, and there's no nicer way to put that. He hasn't put on a few, he hasn't gotten comfortable, he's gotten fat. I'm sure Vargas himself would say the same thing. Stewart says he's lost about 10 pounds in the last couple of weeks.
Vargas (26-5, 22 KO) retired after an exciting 2007 loss in a grudge match against Ricardo Mayorga. That loss followed back-to-back defeats at the hands of Sugar Shane Mosley. His other two losses came by TKO to Oscar de la Hoya and Felix Trinidad. Vargas' best win probably came back in 1999, a debated decision victory over Winky Wright.
It's been years since Vargas was really a top of the line fighter, but if he can get into shape and he really fights Camacho, I'll take a rusty Vargas over Camacho without thinking twice.
T.K. Stewart also says this isn't a return motivated by a lack of money. Vargas had set himself up quite well with several business ventures before his retirement, and he doesn't appear to be hurting for cash. He's 31, has taken an extended break, and might just be itching to compete again. He's definitely taken some punishment over the years, but this comeback doesn't sound crazy or desperate. It just sounds like a comeback.