Middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik will face no charges in a bogus assault claim in Youngstown. (via sports.popcrunch.com)
A seemingly bogus assault case against world middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik has been dropped, according to The Vindicator:
City Prosecutor Jay Macejko said Ronald Cappitte, 45, of Boardman, contacted the Youngstown Police Department on Wednesday and said he didn’t want the investigation to move forward.
Cappitte previously told police that Pavlik, 28, of Canfield, punched him in the groin around 11 p.m. Saturday at the East Side Civics. He said he simply walked up to Pavlik to say hello when he was struck.
Cappitte said Pavlik’s trainer, Jack Loew, also hit him.
Cappitte had told police that he fell to the floor after being struck. He then got up and told Pavlik that if he hit him again, they would be fighting outside.
Cappitte told police that Pavlik then struck him in the forehead, and he fell again. Pavlik and Loew, 50, then both jumped on Cappitte, punching him repeatedly in the body, the police report said.
Loew, however, said Pavlik and Cappitte were talking when Cappitte suddenly grabbed Pavlik around the neck. He said he got in the middle of the two men to break it up.
So you can file this under "irrelevant" now. The claim seemed like B.S. from the get-go. I still think Pavlik should consider getting out of Youngstown, since stuff like this has been following him since he won the championship from Jermain Taylor in 2007.