In a main event destined for a filed protest from the challenger, Timothy Bradley retained his WBO junior welterweight title when Nate Campbell had blurred vision after three rounds and the fight was stopped. Replays showed conclusively that a cut was opened up on an accidental clash of heads, which referee David Mendoza apparently missed. It was poor refereeing and the entire situation was a mess, adding to a disappointing night on Showtime Championship Boxing.
Bradley (25-0, 12 KO) says he'll fight Campbell (33-6-1, 25 KO) in a rematch, even going so far as to say he'll do it in Florida. Campbell was positively livid, not with Bradley, but with referee Mendoza. Bradley was clearly the better man for the first three rounds and no one will argue that; he dominated Campbell in round three particularly, but Campbell also clearly lost something when he initially complained of a headbutt.
There is no doubt Campbell will take this to the CSAC and look to get the decision changed to a no-contest. I think it's only right that the decision is changed, but it's rare that these things work out that way.
In the opening televised bout, Junior Witter quit after eight rounds against Devon Alexander. Referee Dr. Lou Moret warned Witter about holding between the eighth and ninth rounds, and told him it wouldn't be tolerated anymore. Witter did hold a ton, but his awkward style gave Alexander some trouble, though Devon was ahead on every card. I had the fight a draw, but was definitely in the minority.
When the corner was told Witter was in danger of a point being taken or the like, they called the fight. Alexander (19-0, 12 KO) is now the WBC junior welterweight titlist. Witter (37-3-2, 22 KO) said after the fight that he had hurt his elbow, and also said this would not be his last fight, just in case anyone is wondering.
Note: I'll be out of action tomorrow as I'm moving and Comcast won't be able to get me set up at my new place until Monday.