The shirt says "fists of feather" in Russian.
Some tidbits from around the boxing world:
- The first piece of the Pacquiao-Cotto undercard appears to be nearly set - Top Rank won the purse bid for Daniel Santos vs. Yuri Foreman, and they'll be putting that on the undercard. It could be an intriguing fight, although it hurts that Foreman couldn't crack an egg. At the very least, we can be assured that it won't be like the Pacquiao-De La Hoya undercard, since this one's pretty much guaranteed to go the 12 round distance. In addition, Foreman will be the first Israeli citizen to fight for a world title. Also, all of the cheap seats for the fight have sold out - only $750 seats and $1000 seats remain.
- Hard-hitting and promising prospect Matt Korobov will be getting a top flight trainer in Robert Garcia. Unfortunately, I just don't think it's the right trainer for Korobov. Korobov's strength is literally just that - his strength, his bullying style, his hard, precise punching. Garcia has trained a number of big names, the most prominent of whom are Steven Luevano and Brian Viloria. These are two solid, stand up boxers, but they're definitely boxers (especially Luevano, for whom Garcia has developed an 'outside jabber' style). There are plenty of things Korobov could improve, but the last thing he needs is to become a fighter who tries to control the outside with jabs. Not only does it hurt his future marketability, but it neutralizes some of his best natural strengths.
- When George Foreman III approached his latest opponent, the opponent had a couple of odd requests - he asked for a George Foreman Grill and an autographed photo of big George. "Monk" obliged the best he could, and as part of his purse, Jesus Hernandez will be receiving an autographed George Foreman Grill.
- Allan Green called out Carl Froch. Allan Green called out Jermain Taylor. Allan Green called out Lucian Bute (and then twice refused fights when they were offered to him). Allan Green called out Kelly Pavlik (and turned down a fight with him because of money). Allan Green was supposed to fight Sakio Bika. Instead, Allan Green will be fighting Victor Oganov. Allan Green needs to STFU and go about his business. It's a joke that he's facing such a weak opponent, and after talking as much as he does, Allan Green should be ashamed of himself. He should worry less about calling people out and staring at his shoes, and worry more about actually doing something to justify the high regard in which many people hold him.
- Top Rank has been shoring up their next few independent pay per views. September's Latin Fury 11 will include Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Jason LeHoullier, Fernando Montiel vs. Alejandro Valdez, Z Gorres vs. the almighty TBA and Donnie Nietes vs. Manuel Vargas. October's Latin Fury 12 has added John Duddy to the card, in addition to Juan Manuel Lopez vs. Rogers Mtawga, Yuriorkis Gamboa vs. TBA and Odlanier Solis vs. Kevin Johnson. December's Pinoy Power 3 will probably include Nonito Donaire (injury permitting), Z Gorres, Mark Melligan and the rematch of the dreadful Luevano-Concepcion fight.