Former three-division world champion Shane Mosley said Monday his adviser has a Tuesday meeting scheduled with Manny Pacquiao's promoter to "go over the particulars and maybe sign" a contract for a May 7 Pacquiao-Mosley fight at MGM Grand in Las Vegas. This past weekend, Pacquiao had been expected to announce his next opponent, and while that announcement has been delayed, at this point it seems like a Pacquiao-Mosley fight is just a formality.
There is a possibility that Wladimir Klitschko's next opponent may be Tomasz Adamek, although Klitschko's doctors have told him to be in no rush to heal his injury. While early speculation on his next opponent kept pointing to David Haye, a lot more of the recent speculation has pointed towards Adamek. Adamek's next fight, against an opponent to be named, has tentatively been scheduled for April 16 in Katowice, Poland, about 30 miles away from Adamek's hometown of Zywiec.
You may have picked this up in passing during Showtime's Hopkins-Pascal broadcast, but Lucian Bute's next title defense will come against European champ Brian Magee. The fight will be a couple days after St. Patrick's Day, in Montreal. On the undercard, Steve Molitor will rematch his mandatory Takalani Ndlovu, and Renan St. Juste and Edison Miranda will face each other in a match of sluggers. This article notes that Interbox did indeed try to get Robert Stieglitz and Dmitri Sartison, probably the best fighters available, for this bout, but that they declined. Whether Interbox's offers of $500,000 and $400,000, respectively, are fair is up for you to decide.
Miguel Cotto's next fight, to take place on March 12, is starting to take shape. The possible candidates for the fight are Pawel Wolak (who still seems to have the inside track), Vanes Martirosyan and Ricardo Mayorga. Rigoberto Alvarez and Cornelius Bundrage, who were previously mentioned, no longer appear to be possibilities. Mayorga got his first win in three years last weekend, while fighting at middleweight, although Mayorga in any prominent fight at least means you get some very entertaining trash talk. The fight would be on Top Rank PPV, possibly competing against Sergio Martinez's next fight, which Bob Arum has said could become "an issue" between Top Rank and HBO.
So for all the bluster about Brandon Rios getting to face the Soto-Antillon winner, it looks like Top Rank will actually have Rios face Miguel Acosta, for whom Soto is the mandatory challenger. Maybe the timing just didn't work, but usually when something like this happens, it means Top Rank's matchmaker Bruce Trampler saw something in one of the fighters he didn't like for that matchup. On the undercard, Antonio DeMarco would face Reyes Sanchez in what would also be a title eliminator. The card would air on Showtime on February 26.
Steve Cunningham had a busy weekend. First, his third child was born, and then a couple days later his next title defense was announced. He'll face Enad Licina, who recently beat Felix Cora to become the mandatory challenger. On the same card, Sebastian Sylvester will face Mehdi Bouadia, as Sauerland tries to milk the mediocre Sylvester for as long as possible before he needs to face his mandatory challenger Daniel Geale.
No surprises here, but an immediate rematch between Jean Pascal and Bernard Hopkins, who fought to a disputed draw this weekend, will have to wait. As was reported all along, Chad Dawson has a rematch clause with Pascal, and at this point everyone as agreed that Pascal's next fight will be the Dawson rematch. No word on the where and when of the bout.
Okay, so it will never happen in a million years, but it is sort of entertaining to think of the actor from Ali actually boxing the actor from The Fighter.