Matthew Macklin closed out the marathon Magnificent Seven show today from Birmingham, England, with a win over Shalva Jormadashvili. Macklin won by corner retirement at 0:02 of round six, reclaiming the vacant European middleweight title.
Macklin (27-2, 19 KO) was originally slated to face Darren Barker in a highly-anticipated matchup of top ten middleweights, but Barker pulled out with injury. Jomardashvili (27-3-1, 19 KO) was the substitute opponent, a Georgian-born fighter who has mostly competed in his home country against less than stellar opposition. Outside of Georgia, he is now 0-3-1.
Hopefully this will set up a long-awaited fight between Macklin and Barker, who are clearly the top two middleweights in England, but Macklin could also be looking for that step up to the world stage. At 28, it's time to make that move.
We thank everyone for joining us today for this five and a half hour show. Here are the full results, with links to the recaps of those fights:
- James DeGale TKO-1 Carl Dilks
- Lukas Konecny TKO-6 Matthew Hall
- Nathan Cleverly TKO-10 Karo Murat
- Kell Brook TKO-5 Michael Jennings
- Derek Chisora TKO-9 Sam Sexton
- Alexander Frenkel KO-7 Enzo Maccarinelli
- Matthew Macklin TKO-6 Shalva Jomardashvili