Fighthype reports today that promoter Lou DiBella says an official announcement will come soon regarding a rematch between Victor Ortiz and Andre Berto, with the fight happening either on January 28 or February 11. HBO would televise.
Berto (28-1, 22 KO) and Ortiz (29-3-2, 22 KO) fought on April 16 this year in Connecticut, putting on quite a show with both men hitting the canvas and recovering, eventually grinding out 12 hard rounds of a fight that went from scintillating slugfest to grueling gut-check. Both fought again in September, with Ortiz getting knocked out in four by Floyd Mayweather Jr, and Berto stopping IBF titlist Jan Zaveck after five rounds due to cuts.
Recently, Berto vacated the IBF belt, which he was obligated to defend against another DiBella fighter, Randall Bailey. It was Bailey who stopped aside and allowed Berto to fight Zaveck for the belt in the first place, but HBO passed on the fight and without TV, it just wasn't viable.
A few months back, before the rematch became a reality and was a mere suggestion, DiBella said that Ortiz would have to undergo USADA testing to land a rematch with Berto. Berto had previously accused Ortiz of using performance-enhancing drugs to get the win in April, though he did try to back off of that statement after -- sort of, anyway, as Berto still harps on the issue pretty frequently, just without saying Ortiz's name.
But lately it's been a back burner issue if anything of substance whatsoever, with Berto saying he wasn't sure if it would be part of the deal or not.