The rematch between Victor Ortiz and Andre Berto looks like it's officially set for February 11 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Showtime will televise the fight.
Ortiz (29-3-2, 22 KO) and Berto (28-1, 22 KO) first met on April in Connecticut, and engaged in a knock-down, drag-out brawl where both fighters hit the canvas and recovered to swing away some more. In the end, Ortiz won a decision on scores of 115-110, 114-111 and 114-112, capturing the WBC welterweight title and setting himself up for a September 17 fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr, who was in attendance that night.
[ Related: Berto vs Ortiz Post-Fight Recap ]
Ultimately, Ortiz lost his shot on the grandest stage, but you've got to give him this much: He's not looking to get any easy wins to make his way back there, if indeed he's going to do so. He's taking a dangerous fight with a guy who pushed him to the limit the first time around. Berto last fought on September 3, stopping Jan Zaveck on cuts to win the IBF title in an exciting fight in Mississippi. Berto later vacated the title after HBO passed on airing a fight with his mandatory challenger, Randall Bailey.
Potential extra drug testing for the fight has been the hottest topic thus far. Before there were negotiations, Berto's promoter Lou DiBella said he'd demand them, and trainer Tony Morgan also wants there to be extra tests. How much this owes to Berto's ill-advised Twitter ramble earlier this year, in which he accused Ortiz of using steroids, then later tried to find a way to back out of that.
[ Related: Tony Morgan Wants Extra Drug Testing ]
Ortiz and Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer have said that they have no problem doing extra drug testing for the fight, which Ortiz did in September to face Mayweather.