The Sun reports today that Juan Carlos Gomez has signed up for the May 7 edition of Prizefighter, once again featuring the heavyweights. That rounds out the eight-man, single elimination field. Here's the lineup:
- Juan Carlos Gomez (49-2, 37 KO), 37 y/o, Cuba
- Fres Oquendo (32-7, 21 KO), 38 y/o, Puerto Rico
- Mike Perez (13-0, 10 KO), 25 y/o, Cuba
- Kevin Johnson (24-1-1, 10 KO), 31 y/o, United States
- Tye Fields (45-3, 41 KO), 36 y/o, United States
- Gregory Tony (14-1, 12 KO), 32 y/o, France
- Konstantin Airich (16-3-2, 13 KO), 32 y/o, Kazakhstan
- Michael Sprott (36-15, 17 KO), 36 y/o, United Kingdom
This is kind of a landmark Prizefighter since it will be the first tournament with fighters from outside of the UK and Ireland. In fact the only fighter in the tournament from the UK or Ireland is Sprott, though Perez is based in Ireland.
If I were a betting man, my favorite right now would be Mike Perez. He's the youngest, freshest, probably the strongest guy in the field. I don't like the format for Oquendo, Gomez or Johnson, though Gomez has the most natural talent of anyone in the tournament. Tony could be the real darkhorse here. If Tye Fields wins, I'll never watch another Prizefighter because it will assure me that the entire idea is a sham and a farce.