Miguel Vazquez might be pushed back to June 11 for his next fight. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)
- Preview: Vic Darchinyan v. Yonnhy Perez
- Scorecard Treatment: Vic Darchinyan v. Abner Mares by Jason Karp
- Five Fight Analysis: Shane Mosley
Miguel Vazquez Update
After calling out Marco Antonio Barrera for the June 4 Top Rank undercard at the Staples Center, it now looks like Vazquez will be pushed back a week. Steve Kim reported yesterday that Vazquez looks more likely to fight on June 11. No word on an opponent, but the last IBF ratings had Antonio DeMarco ranked third (which is the top contender since "sanctioning" bodies also love making guys pay to get ranked first or second). Paulus Moses' people have made noise about getting another title fight, so maybe a rematch could be worked on there. Probably about as good as it'll get.
Future Fight Notes
- Jose Benavidez Jr. (10-0, 9 KO) is fighting off TV on the Pacquiao-Mosley show, and already has a follow-up date set. Benavidez will make his debut in his home state of Arizona on June 11 at the Wild Horse Pass Casino in Chandler.
- John Molina Jr. (21-1, 17 KO) returns on May 28 at the BlueWater Resort and Casino in Parker, Arizona. The press release about this was as astounding a press release as I've read in my time, describing Molina's win last year over Hank Lundy as "a display of breathtaking courage and dogged persistence."
- Guillermo Jones is pretty peeved at his current situation. He's got a fight set with Ryan Coyne on June 25, which truth be told is a pretty lousy title defense, but the WBA has set a purse bid on April 28 for Jones to face Yoan Pablo Hernandez, a far more significant fight. "I think this is hurting my career," Jones said. Only Guillermo Jones could see possible multiple fights inside of a year as a detriment to his career.
After the jump: Link Parade! and the Song of the Day.
- Kelly Pavlik and Jack Loew are happy to be at 168 pounds, as they say it's making training for the fight itself a lot more simple. Pavlik returns on May 7 against Alfonso Lopez, on the Pacquiao-Mosley card.
- Speaking of that undercard, Jorge Arce says he's ready for Wilfredo Vazquez Jr., but I still expect that to be a horrible fight to watch play out.
- Cuban heavyweight prospect looks it. A few other Cuban also-rans are fighting on the card, including Inocente Fiz and Yoandris Salinas. faces Bert Cooper tonight in Miami. Cooper is 45 years old and
- Tom Zbikowski fights again on a Top Rank show in Oklahoma tonight. Here's an interview that might make you like Zbikowski a bit more -- as I said the other day, it's not Zbikowski who bugs me in this whole ordeal. He seems like a genuine guy who really loves boxing. It's more what surrounds him from the clueless. But then I generally get annoyed by the clueless.
- BoxRec news has an interview with Ryan Rhodes. I love, love, love the Alvarez-Rhodes fight.
Song of the Day
Springtime in Indiana! Since it's raining a bunch here, here's Irma Thomas' classic "It's Raining." It is supposed to be near 70 and sunny today, though. Looking forward to that.