Let's talk a bunch of stuff.
- After some reasonable doubt, it looks like Saul "Canelo" Alvarez will be taking a really good, really tough fight with Ryan Rhodes on June 18. Richard Schaefer tells BoxingScene.com's Rick Reeno that he expects to get the fight finalized this week. I really love that fight, if I haven't made that clear. I see good reasons for both to win, and think it's a very nice step up for Alvarez, and that Rhodes deserves the shot.
- Sergio Martinez won't be back until September, with his July 9 date being called off. Given that the July date was likely to see him in a mismatch with Peter Manfredo Jr., I guess we can now at least hope that a better opponent can be found with a couple of extra months at everyone's disposal.
- Odlanier Solis is targeting an October return, and hopes that Vitali Klitschko will give him an "immediate rematch." Would you be interested in seeing a rematch? Klitschko is still in talks to fight again on June 4, with Siarhei Liakhovich seemingly the lead dog in that race. Indianapolis-based Franklin "Yah Yah" Lawrence did say he wants the fight.
- Junior welterweight fringe contender Josesito Lopez (29-3, 17 KO) will headline Friday Night Fights on May 27 against Steve Upsher Chambers (23-1-1, 6 KO). Lopez had a very fun fight last August on FNF against Marvin Cordova Jr., and in his last bout knocked off unbeaten Mike Dallas Jr. (KO-7) in late January.
- Vanes Martirosyan's April 23 fight with Saul Roman has been called off, as Martirosyan is sick.
- Lem Satterfield of BoxingScene.com reports that Gary Shaw is looking to get Sergiy Dzinziruk back on HBO, this time at 154 pounds against Top Rank's Pawel Wolak. Dzinziruk (37-1, 23 KO) is coming off of a loss to middleweight champ Sergio Martinez, while Wolak destroyed Yuri Foreman on the Cotto-Mayorga show. In a follow-up by Satterfield, Wolak says he'd love to get the fight. I'd favor Dzinziruk pretty heavily in that matchup, but he is 35, and Wolak is a really relentless guy.
- Donovan George says he wants to fight Kelly Pavlik. Did you see George last year against Osumanu Adama and Francisco Sierra? Because I did, and boy, Pavlik would kill him.