Busy Weekend, So What's the Best Fight?
There are a lot of big fights this Saturday -- or if not big, fairly high-profile -- so the question for the morning is, what's the best? Poll will be just a scroll down here, but here are the candidates, and my own very brief thoughts:
Jean Pascal vs Bernard Hopkins II: Obviously it's the biggest, most important fight, and the Bell Centre will rock. But the best? I saw someone recently say their first fight was "One of the best fights I ever saw!" Then I wondered if that person had seen more or less than three fights ever.
- Chad Dawson vs Adrian Diaconu: And this is also happening at the Bell Centre!
- Juergen Braehmer vs Nathan Cleverly: I think little of Braehmer, but he can punch, and Cleverly has gone a bit too cowboy in the past. Fighting like he did against Karo Murat would be unwise, and this could be great fun.
- James DeGale vs George Groves: Well, no shock to the regulars here, but this is my choice. This is a killer fight.
- Denis Lebedev vs Roy Jones Jr: And this is also happening on Saturday!
- There are talks of a possible Friday Night Fights main event in July between Joel Casamayor (38-5-1, 22 KO) and Jorge Teron (25-2-1, 17 KO). Teron is a 25-year-old out of the Bronx who duked it out in a TKO-3 loss last year to Brandon Rios, while Casamayor is of course a former lightweight world champion, about whom saying, "He's a shell of his former self," would be an insult to men who are shells of their former selves. Casamayor is straight up toast.
- The Paul Williams vs Nobuhiro Ishida bout will be at 155 pounds, not 154. This happens a lot in build-a-record or tune-up type fights on club shows or off-TV undercards. Unfortunately this is an HBO main event for some reason.
- The Brandon Rios vs Urbano Antillon show in Carson, Calif., on July 9 will have Matt Korobov and Mike Lee on the undercard. I fear they'll be facing similar opposition.
- Fightnews Q&A with Christopher Martin. He main events on Solo Boxeo Tecate on Friday against Charles Huerta. Martin was set up as an opponent for Chris Avalos last year and pretty much schooled Avalos. He's no joke.
After the jump: Your Song of the Day!
Song of the Day