George Groves broke through hours before Bernard Hopkins made history on Saturday. (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)
Yesterday's Results and Recaps
- Bernard Hopkins did everything better than Jean Pascal and won the legitimate light heavyweight championship of the world for a second time. At 46, he's the oldest man to ever win any major title -- legit or not -- in boxing history.
- Chad Dawson was not so new or improved, but he outpointed Adrian Diaconu in the HBO co-feature. Most likely, Hopkins and Dawson will face off next. And I agree with Emanuel Steward that they should do it in Montreal. It's not like they could draw anywhere else.
- It wasn't exciting, but it was tense, and George Groves improved to 2-0 lifetime against James DeGale by very close majority decision. The amount of internet buzz around that card yesterday was a huge surprise to me.
- On the DeGale vs Groves undercard: Nathan Cleverly got Aleksy Kuziemski out in four due to cuts, Frankie Gavin stunk out the joint in a 12-round win over Young Mutley, and Billy Joe Saunders tore up Kevin Hammond with body shots in the second round.
- In what was a sad start to a full day of boxing coverage, Denis Lebedev knocked out Roy Jones Jr in the tenth round. Here's video if you haven't seen it. It was a truly scary moment, and I just cannot say enough how badly Jones needs to get out of the ring. Also on the Moscow card: Ismayl Sillakh TKO-3 Hamza Wandera, Nate Campbell UD-8 Sherzod Nazarov, Yaundale Evans TKO-5 Ruslan Berchuk, Alexander Bakhtin UD-10 Jose Angel Beranza.
- Also last night: Tomas Rojas RTD-11 Juan Jose Montes, Alfonso Gomez TKO-2 Calvin Green, Kashif Mumtaz TKO-1 Les Sherrington (ankle injury), Juan Alberto "Topo" Rosas KO-6 John Alberto Molina, Oscar Ibarra TKO-7 Juanito Rubillar, Juan Palacios UD-12 Sammy Gutierrez, Jose "Piston" Lopez UD-10 Jorge Paez Jr, Michael Farenas MD-8 Daniel Attah.
Here's a question: For those who saw both fights, what was the worst fight of this weekend? Was it the Friday Night Fights dud between Joel Julio and Anges Adjaho, or the Frankie Gavin vs Young Mutley turd?
After the jump: Song of the Day! Song of the Day!
Song of the Day