Lamont Peterson will be back in the ring on July 23. (Photo by Scott Heavey/Getty Images)
Lots of "little" news today, nothing big. So let's throw it all together.
Lukas Konecny Retains European Jr Middle Title
Lukas Konecny (47-3, 22 KO) dominated Hussein Bayram by decision today in the Czech Republic. Konecny won the title last year against Matthew Hall, and today marked his second defense of the crown. Bayram falls to 34-4 (19 KO).
Lamont Peterson vs Victor Cayo Set for July 23
BoxingScene.com reports that the canceled fight between Lamont Peterson and Victor Cayo has been rescheduled for July 23 in Las Vegas or Atlantic City. The two were supposed to main event the April 29 edition of Friday Night Fights, but Cayo pulled out late and nobody could convince Tim Coleman -- who was originally supposed to face Cayo in the eliminator -- to save the main event and fight Peterson.
Peterson (28-1-1, 14 KO) has only two blemishes on his record, both of which look pretty good right now. He was competitive against Timothy Bradley in December 2009 but lost a clear decision, and this past December he rallied to fight Victor Ortiz to a draw on the Khan vs Maidana card. Peterson had been offered an April date with Khan, but the sides couldn't agree on money. Whether Peterson vs Cayo winds up on what may or may not be a Khan vs Judah show is up in the air, but the Vegas/AC thing indicates that's possible. Cayo (26-1, 18 KO) has won two since getting knocked out by Marcos Maidana in March 2010.
- Our friend Corey Erdman mentioned on Twitter that promoter Lou DiBella is hoping he can match Joachim Alcine against David Lemieux by the end of the year. Russ Anber recently said that Lemieux won't fight this summer as had been rumored, but could be back late this year. So that might make sense. Alcine (32-2, 19 KO) was last seen in July 2010, looking like he had no business near Alfredo Angulo in a TKO-1 loss on HBO. Alcine is 35 years old, and was one-half of a Showtime main event in 2007 against Travis Simms that I've never quite forgiven myself for watching.
- As always, take anything rumored with Liakhovich with an enormous grain of salt, but word is that Robert Helenius could get a shot at the former titlist. Since beating Lamon Brewster in 2006, Liakhovich has done F-all, dropping fights to Shannon Briggs and Nikolai Valuev, while beating Jeremy Bates and Evans Quinn. He hasn't fought in a year and has canceled more fights than he's taken since dropping the belt to Briggs in Nov. '06. Helenius is a quick-rising heavyweight prospect who knocked out Samuel Peter in his last bout.
- Top super flyweight Hugo Cazares returns on July 9 against Arturo Badillo. I don't know what Cazares has against fighting real contenders, but he really hates doing it apparently. This will be his fourth straight against what amounts to a fringe contender.
- As a follow-up on Marco Antonio Rubio facing an inactive nobody whose license was revoked in Colombia due to health concerns, the good news is that he's not going to fight that guy now. The bad news is he's lined up Argentina's Ricardo Ramallo (11-3-1, 7 KO) for June 4. Folks, take my advice: When someone says that Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao "fight bums," remember there's a great big world of boxing out there where far worse nonsense happens constantly, and with legitimate contenders.