Matthew Macklin and Felix Sturm battle it out in Cologne Germany on Saturday. (Photo by Lars Baron/Bongarts/Getty Images)
Big weekend of fights ahead with plenty of points on the table. If you're off to a bad start, this is the week to turn it around. If you're new to the game, it's still very early in the season and there's plenty of time to catch up... so join in the fun and get playing!
Topping the bill is the HBO main-event between junior-welterweights Devon Alexander and Lucas Matthysse. It's an interesting style match-up, with Alexander's blend of speed and power going up against the heavy handed pressure of the Argentinean body puncher. Also on the HBO card is a light-heavyweight clash between Tavoris Cloud and Yusaf Mack. As Cloud's a heavy favorite to win by knockout, we've added an over/under selection to make the match-up a little more interesting.
There's an intriguing middleweight clash on the line-up as well, with Felix Sturm taking on Matthew Macklin in Germany. Sturm has looked less than convincing at times over the last few years, while the former British and Commonwealth champion has been on a good run, rattling off 11 wins in a row since losing to Jamie Moore back in 2006.
We've also got the return of Fernando Montiel happening this weekend, with the Mexican boxer-puncher going up against Nehomar Cermeno. The rugged Venezuelan is a tough man for Montiel to facing just four months after his violent knockout defeat at the hands of Nonito Donaire.
Rounding out this week's gamesheet is the SKY welterweight clash from Sheffield, with Kell Brook facing off against Lovemore N'dou. Given the extremely wide odds favoring the English fighter, we'll just be offering an over/under on this one.
For those that haven't played before, welcome to the best pick'em game going. Please join right in and start playing (just make sure to check out the rules - we promise they are very simple).
An explanation of how to fill out your selections appears at the bottom of this post - please follow these instructions as it makes it easier for us to tabulate the results quickly each week.
You can check out last week's standings here.
Let’s get to the week 3 line-up…**** Remember you do not need to make a selection on every fight. If you are unfamiliar with any of the fighters, and don't want to risk points, you are free to PASS on any pick. You must make at least one selection to receive the 10 point participation bonus****
A. Pick the winner - Devon Alexander vs Lucas Matthysse (Saturday, June 25)
1. Alexander to win – risk 8.5 points to win 5.5.
2. Matthysse to win – risk 5.5 points to win 8.5.
B. Method of victory - Devon Alexander vs Lucas Matthysse (technical decision counts as decision, DQ counts as stoppage - Saturday, June 25)
1. Alexander by stoppage – risk 2 to win 8.
2. Alexander by decision – risk 4 to win 6.
3. Matthysse by stoppage – risk 2 to win 8.
4. Matthysse by decision – risk 2 to win 8.
C. Pick the winner - Felix Sturm vs Matthew Macklin (Saturday, June 25)
1. Sturm to win – risk 9 points to win 3.
2. Macklin to win – risk 3 points to win 9.
D. Method of victory - Felix Sturm vs Matthew Macklin (technical decision counts as decision, DQ counts as stoppage - Saturday, June 25)
1. Sturm by stoppage – risk 2 to win 8.
2. Sturm by decision – risk 5.5 to win 4.5
3. Macklin by stoppage – risk 1.5 to win 8.5.
4. Macklin by decision – risk 1 to win 9.
E. Pick the winner - Fernando Montiel vs Nehomar Cermeno (Saturday, June 25)
1. Montiel to win (any method) – risk 9 to win 3.
2. Montiel by stoppage – risk 3 to win 9.
3. Montiel by decision – risk 6 to win 6.
4. Cermeno (any method) – risk 3 to win 9.
F. Pick the winner / Method of victory - Tavoris Cloud vs Yusaf Mack (technical decision counts as decision, DQ counts as stoppage - Saturday, June 25)
1. Cloud to win (any method) – risk 8.5 to win 1.5.
2. Cloud by stoppage – risk 6.5 to win 3.5.
3. Cloud by decision – risk 2 to win 8.
4. Mack (any method) – risk 1.5 to win 8.5.
G. Over/Under - Tavoris Cloud vs Yusaf Mack (Saturday, June 25)
1. Over 7 1/2 – risk 5 points to win 4.
2. Over 9 1/2 – risk 3.5 points to win 5.5.
3. Under 7 1/2 – risk 4 points to win 5.
4. Under 9 1/2 – risk 5.5 points to win 3.5.
H. Over/Under - Kell Brook vs Lovemore N'dou (Saturday, June 25)
1. Over 8 1/2 – risk 7.5 points to win 2.5.
2. Over 10 1/2 – risk 6 points to win 4.
3. Under 8 1/2 – risk 2.5 points to win 7.5.
4. Under 10 1/2 – risk 4 points to win 6.
Please fill out your selections as follows:
Enter the LETTER of the fight first, then whether it’s a single (1), double (2) or triple (3) followed by the NUMBER of your pick and the NAME of the FIGHTER and METHOD of victory (where applicable).
**** You have 10 doubles and 5 triples to use over the 10 week season ****
For Selection A, if you want to use one of your doubles on Alexander to win...
A. (2) – 1 – Alexander
For Selection B, if you wish to pick Matthysse by stoppage without using a double or triple...
B. (1) – 3 - Matthysse by stoppage
For Selection C, if you wanted to use a triple on Sturm to win, you would enter...
C. (3) – 1 – Sturm
For Selection D, if you wish to pass...