Plenty of action this week with doubleheaders on Showtime & HBO highlighting the line-up.
The most anticipated bout this weekend brings lightweight rivals Brandon Rios and Urbano Antillon together in the Showtime main-event in what is sure to be an entertaining high-contact affair. The odds are rather wide in favor of Rios, though Antillon should be able to match him physically which could make things quite interesting. The undercard features the return of Kermi Cintron, with the Puerto Rican junior-middleweight battling Carlos Molina in a 10 rounder. Molina pulled off a surprise in his last outing, holding Erislandy Lara to a draw, in a bout many feel could have gone to the underdog.
The aforementioned Lara is also in action, taking on Paul Williams in the HBO main-event. Despite coming off a devestating KO loss to Serigo Martinez late last year, Williams enters this one as a solid favorite over the Cuban. The undercard features a super-bantamweight encounter between Rico Ramos and Akifumi Shimoda in what could be the most competitive bout on the game-sheet.
Also in action this weekend is Lucian Bute, who will be fulfilling his mandatory obligations against Frenchman Jean-Paul Mendy. With the odds heavily favoring the southpaw star, we've made this one strictly an over-under proposition.
The line-up also includes the FNF main-event between Jesus Gonzalez and Francisco Sierra in a super-middleweight contest and Chris Arreola's latest stay busy bout. The California heavyweight takes on Friday Ahunyana in a ten-rounder on the untelevised portion of the Williams-Lara undercard.
For those that haven't played before, welcome to the best pick'em game going. Please join right in and start playing (just make sure to check out the rules - we promise they are very simple).
An explanation of how to fill out your selections appears at the bottom of this post - please follow these instructions as it makes it easier for us to tabulate the results quickly each week.
You can check out last week's standings here.
Let’s get to the week 5 line-up…**** Remember you do not need to make a selection on every fight. If you are unfamiliar with any of the fighters, and don't want to risk points, you are free to PASS on any pick. You must make at least one selection to receive the 10 point participation bonus****
A. Pick the winner - Brandon Rios vs Urbano Antillon (Saturday, July 9)
1. Rios to win – risk 10.5 points to win 2.5.
2. Antillon to win – risk 2.5 points to win 10.5.
B. Method of victory - Brandon Rios vs Urbano Antillon (technical decision counts as decision, DQ counts as stoppage - Saturday, July 9)
1. Rios by stoppage – risk 5 to win 4.
2. Rios by decision – risk 2 to win 7.
3. Antillon by stoppage – risk 1 to win 8.
4. Antillon by decision – risk 1 to win 8.
C. Pick the winner - Paul Williams vs Erislandy Lara (Saturday, July 9)
1. Williams to win – risk 9 points to win 3.
2. Lara to win – risk 3 points to win 9.
D. Method of victory - Paul Williams vs Erislandy Lara (technical decision counts as decision, DQ counts as stoppage - Saturday, July 9)
1. Williams by stoppage – risk 2 to win 7.
2. Williams by decision – risk 5 to win 4.
3. Lara by stoppage – risk 1 to win 8.
4. Lara by decision – risk 1 to win 8.
E. Pick the winner - Rico Ramos vs Akifumi Shimoda (Saturday, July 9)
1. Ramos to win – risk 6.5 points to win 4.5.
2. Shimoda to win – risk 4.5 points to win 6.5.
F. Pick the winner / Method of victory - Kermit Cintron Carlos Molina (technical decision counts as decision, DQ counts as stoppage - Saturday, July 9)
1. Cintron to win (any method) – risk 9 to win 3
2. Cintron by stoppage – risk 3 to win 6.
3. Cintron by decision – risk 6 to win 6.
4. Molina (any method) – risk 3 to win 9.
G. Over/Under - Lucian Bute vs Jean-Paul Mendy (Saturday, July 9)
1. Over 6 1/2 – risk 5 points to win 5.
2. Over 9 1/2 – risk 3 points to win 7.
3. Under 6 1/2 – risk 5 points to win 5.
4. Under 9 1/2 – risk 7 points to win 3.
H. Pick the winner / Method of victory - Chris Arreola vs Friday Ahunyana (technical decision counts as decision, DQ counts as stoppage - Saturday, July 9)
1. Arreola by stoppage – risk 3.5 to win 5.5.
2. Arreola by decision – risk 5 to win 4.
3. Ahunaya (any method) – risk 0.5 to win 8.5.
I. Pick the winner - Jesus Gonzalez vs Francisco Sierra (Friday, July 8)
1. Gonzalez to win – risk 6 points to win 3.
2. Sierra to win – risk 3 points to win 6.
Please fill out your selections as follows:
Enter the LETTER of the fight first, then whether it’s a single (1), double (2) or triple (3) followed by the NUMBER of your pick and the NAME of the FIGHTER and METHOD of victory (where applicable).
**** You have 10 doubles and 5 triples to use over the 10 week season ****
For Selection A, if you want to use one of your doubles on Rios to win...
A. (2) – 1 – Rios
For Selection B, if you wish to pick Antillon by stoppage without using a double or triple...
B. (1) – 3 - Antillon by stoppage
For Selection C, if you wanted to use a triple on Williams...
C. (3) – 1 - Williams
For Selection D, if you wish to pass...