"Vicious" Victor Ortiz continues with his somewhat inconsistent attitude ahead of his September 17 fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr today, turning up the trash talk factor and saying he'll end Floyd's career, calling him an "old man." From BoxingScene.com:
"I don't care what he brings. He's done. He was done when he signed to fight Victor Ortiz. Everything will be told September 17 when a man's career ends and another man's career begins. I will bring a cane for the old man so his back won't hurt too much."
... "Floyd is a good fighter but I've always thought he wasn't great. I'm not impressed and I'm not going to hold any respect like his 41 victims. Those fighters he fought, none of them were me. Somebody is in trouble. It's not what I think I can do. It's what I know I can do."
Ortiz (29-2-2, 22 KO), who holds the at-stake WBC welterweight title that Mayweather previously held before one of his numerous brief retirements, has been sort of back-and-forth on how he's approached this fight. He was reserved at the New York press conference, then for some reason turned up the heat the next day in Los Angeles. He said after that he was directed to talk that way to increase interest, which is probably true, but this is another turn. Lately he's just focused on how he's prepared, pretty respectful stuff, pretty normal, and now he's going with this career-ending talk, and saying he has no respect for Mayweather.
The kid reminds me so much of Oscar De La Hoya that it's scary.