Matt Remillard pleaded no contest to an assault charge in Connecticut. (Photo by Hunter Martin/Getty Images)
Top Rank featherweight Matt Remillard has pleaded no contest to an assault charge in Connecticut, and The Hartford Courant says the fighter is expected to serve five years when sentenced in November:
Matthew Remillard, 25, is expected to go to prison for five years when sentenced for first-degree assault Nov. 29 in Superior Court. A fight over a woman sparked the sneak attack — in which three others played roles, the state police said.
Remillard was charged with hitting the victim of the assault with a baseball bat, which he has denied, saying he punched the man.
If Remillard does get the expected five years, or even just a few years, it will pretty well put an end to his relevant career in professional boxing. At 25, he didn't do particularly well earlier this year when he stepped up competition against Mikey Garcia, being dominated and pulled out of the fight after 10 rounds by his corner, showing toughness and grit but not a whole lot more. He's not someone who was being dreamed on as a prospect anyway, and his upside appeared quite limited.