Is there any sport better than boxing when it comes to nicknames? Boxing nicknames, many of which are alarmingly indistinguishable from WWE fare, can be categorized in any number of ways, such as:
- Euphonius (Jersey Joe Walcott)
- Oxymoronic (Merciless Ray Mercer)
- Overstated (Michael "Second To" Nunn)
- Iconic (Gentleman Jim); and
- Unnecessary (Big George Foreman).
Simpler still, they typically fall into one of three broad types:
- Nicknames that lead (Iron Mike Tyson)
- Those that form a middle name (Darnell "The Ding-a-Ling Man" Wilson); and
- Appellations that stand alone (The Atomic Bull)
Needless to say, Oliver McCall, the aforementioned Atomic Bull, would have been far better dubbed The China Syndrome, but I digress.
Choosing your favorite boxing nickname is akin to choosing the prettiest woman at a beauty contest. It's impossible, subjective, and arbitrary . . . yet it must be done! Please cast your vote for the best in show below and share any gems that are missing.