Sharif Bogere was set to face Richard Abril for a vacant world title on a November 24 HBO triple header. Bogere has now been forced off the card due to a partially torn Achilles tendon.
[Begere manager Ralph] Heredia said Bogere, who is from Uganda but lives in Las Vegas, began to feel "a little pinch" in his Achilles on Nov. 3 during a training run outside of Las Vegas.
"But Sharif, being the warrior he is, didn't say nothing," Heredia said. "Monday (Nov. 5) he sparred but he told (trainer) Kenny Adams he felt something and Kenny taped his ankle and he had a great sparring session. Everything was great but he felt a little something. So Wednesday he asked Kenny to tape his ankle again and he sparred again. Then the next thing, on Thursday, it was all swollen up and we said, 'Sharif, tell is the truth.' He said it had been bothering him but he didn't think he was serious. He wanted to train and really wanted to fight. We said he had to go get it checked out. It was swollen and after the MRI, the doctor put his foot in a boot."
It appears that the plan is to push the fight back to January or February depending on Bogere's recovery. I assume that means that Abril will remain on the sidelines until the rescheduled fight takes place.
As for the HBO card, it will now be a double header with Andre Berto vs. Robert Guerrero headlining and Keith Thurman vs. Carlos Quintana in the support role.