Only 2 weeks to go, and we've got a big one. Pacquaio or Marquez, who do you like? - Ethan Miller
We have a lot of action for you this weekend, including the fourth meeting between Manny Pacquiao (#2 at 147) and Juan Manuel Marquez (#1 at 140) - but please note the Thursday night fight beween Raymundo Beltran (#8) and Ji Hoon-Kim. That's tonight, so if you want to make a pick on that one, get your selection in quickly! Should be an action packed fight, so we didn't want to leave it out. You don't have to make all your picks right away, and of course, you don't need to make a pick on every fight... but if you want to make a play on that bout, don't delay getting it in.
For the big Pacquiao-Marquez clash, we've added an over-under to the pick the winner and method of victor options. Also on the PPV show is an intriguing battle of lightweights, with Miguel Vazquez (#3), fresh off an uninspiring win over Marvin Quintero, going up against unbeaten Filipino southpaw Mercito Gesta. The undercard also features the return of Yuriorkis Gamboa, with the Cuban star taking on Michael Farenas.
Mikkel Kessler (#3) is back at super-middleweight for a meeting with Brian Magee, plus we've also got a couple of bouts from the UK. Darren Barker, fighting for the first time since losing to Sergio Martinez, goes up against Kerry Hope, and James DeGale takes on Fulgencio Zuniga.
Rounding out the line-up is a 115lb match-up from Mexico between Juan Jose Montes and former flyweight lineal champion Sonny Boy Jaro (#5 at 112).
For those that haven't played before, welcome to the best pick'em game going. Please join right in and start playing (just make sure to check out the rules - we promise they are very simple).
An explanation of how to fill out your selections appears at the bottom of this post - please follow these instructions as it makes it easier for us to tabulate the results quickly each week.
You can check out last week's standings here.
Let’s get to the week 9 line-up…
**** Remember you do not need to make a selection on every fight. If you are unfamiliar with any of the fighters, and don't want to risk points, you are free to PASS on any pick. You must make at least one selection to receive the 10 point participation bonus****
A. Pick the winner - Raymundo Beltran vs Ji-Hoon Kim (Thursday, December 6)
1. Beltran to win – risk 6.5 points to win 3.5.
2. Kim to win – risk 3.5 points to win 6.5.
B. Pick the winner - Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez (Saturday, December 8)
1. Pacquiao to win – risk 13 points to win 5.
2. Marquez to win – risk 5 points to win 13.
C. Pick the winner / Method of victory - Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez (technical decision counts as decision, DQ counts as stoppage - Saturday, December 8)
1. Pacquiao by stoppage – risk 3 to win 8.
2. Pacquiao by decision – risk 5 to win 6.
3. Marquez by stoppage – risk 1 to win 10.
4. Marquez by decision – risk 2 to win 9.
D. *Over/Under - Manny Pacquiao (Saturday, December 8)
1. Over 8 1/2 – risk 8 points to win 3.
2. Over 11 1/2 – risk 6.5 points to win 4.5.
3. Under 8 1/2 – risk 3 points to win 8.
4. Under 11 1/2 – risk 4.5 points to win 6.5.
E. Pick the winner - Miguel Vazquez vs Mercito Gesta (Saturday, December 8)
1. Vazquez to win – risk 7 points to win 4.
2. Gesta to win – risk 4 points to win 7.
F. Pick the winner / Method of victory - Yuriorkis Gamboa vs Michael Farenas (technical decision counts as decision, DQ counts as stoppage - Saturday, December 8)
1. Gamboato win – risk 9.5 to win 0.5.
2. Gamboa to win by stoppage – risk 5.5 to win 4.5.
3. Gamboa by decision – risk 4 to win 6.
4. Farenas (any method) – risk 0.5 to win 9.5.
G. Pick the winner / Method of victory - Mikkel Kessler vs Brian Magee (technical decision counts as decision, DQ counts as stoppage - Saturday, December 8)
1. Kessler to win – risk 10.5 to win 1.5.
2. Kessler to win by stoppage – risk 7 to win 5.
3. Kessler by decision – risk 3.5 to win 8.5.
4. Magee (any method) – risk 1.5 to win 10.5.
H. Pick the winner / Method of victory - Darren Barker vs Kerry Hope (technical decision counts as decision, DQ counts as stoppage - Saturday, December 8)
1. Barker to win – risk 8 to win 1.
2. Barker to win by stoppage – risk 4.5 to win 4.5.
3. Barker by decision – risk 3.5 to win 5.5.
4. Hope (any method) – risk 1 to win 8.
I. Pick the winner / Method of victory - James DeGale vs Fulgencio Zuniga (technical decision counts as decision, DQ counts as stoppage - Saturday, December 8)
1. DeGale to win – risk 8 to win 1.
2. DeGale to win by stoppage – risk 2.5 to win 6.5.
3. DeGale by decision – risk 5.5 to win 3.5.
4. Zuniga (any method) – risk 1 to win 8.
J. Pick the winner - Juan Jose Montes vs Sonny Boy Jaro (Saturday, December 8)
1. Montes to win – risk 7 points to win 3.
2. Jaro to win – risk 3 points to win 7.
Please fill out your selections as follows:
Enter the LETTER of the fight first, then whether it’s a single (1), double (2) or triple (3) followed by the NUMBER of your pick and the NAME of the FIGHTER and METHOD of victory (where applicable).
**** You have 10 doubles and 5 triples to use over the 10 week season ****
For Selection A, if you want to use one of your doubles on Beltran to win via any method...
A. (2) – 1 – Beltran to win
For Selection B, if you want to pick Marquez without using a double or triple...
B. (1) – 2 - Marquez
For Selection C, if you want to use one of triples on Pacquiao by decision...
C. (3) – 2 - Pacquiao by decision
For Selection D, if you wish to pass...