Miguel Cotto will be planning out his next move soon, Rick Reeno of BoxingScene.com reports, and his team is considering rematches with both Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao.
Mayweather, of course, just defeated Cotto on May 5, and Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer says there has been some demand for a rematch. Some yahoos actually managed to find more than four rounds to give to Cotto, because they're crazy people, but personally I don't feel like I missed out on getting a complete story in those 12 rounds. Schaefer is pushing the idea that Max Kellerman brought up on The Fight Game on Saturday night -- basically, "Hey, if Cotto had been better, maybe we're looking at a draw or the like?"
Cotto didn't do better and I don't know that he could. It's not that I object to a Mayweather-Cotto rematch, necessarily, but usually I'm for rematches when it feels like there's truly unfinished business, or the fight could be different the second time. I don't have that feeling with Mayweather-Cotto.
Now Pacquiao-Cotto, on the other hand, I do think there's some value there. Manny has to beat Timothy Bradley on June 9, of course, but assuming he does that, I do think Pacquiao-Cotto II is a good fight. I'm more convinced than ever that Pedro Diaz has added something to Miguel Cotto's career. If those guys were working together four years ago, I'm not certain that Miguel Cotto would have lost to Antonio Margarito the first time, and you're talking about a vastly different career from that night.
Furthermore, the first Pacquiao-Cotto fight -- look, I've said this a million times, but Miguel Cotto basically did not have a trainer for that fight. Joe Santiago is not a boxing trainer. He had nothing to offer in the corner. Cotto was coaching himself against one of the best fighters on the planet, and that was a pretty heavy weight, not to mention Manny's fists flying at him from all angles.
Pacquiao has lost a step, Cotto seems to be pretty consistent lately, and I think that's a good fight to be made, even with Cotto losing to Floyd. I've stopped caring about who is fighting whose leftovers and things like that. It doesn't matter. If it's a good fight, make it. If it's not, don't.
Of course, there's the weight issue. Pacquaio-Cotto II didn't happen already this year because Cotto won't go down to 147, and Manny doesn't want to fight over 147 anymore. Miguel's pretty much in at 154 now -- I think he could still do 147, but of course it would take something out of him. Maybe do the 150 catchweight that Manny did with Margarito. It's not like Cotto is Margarito's size or anything.
With the Floyd rematch, I can see it happening because there's just not that much out there for Floyd. Miguel's on the back end of his career, and another fight with Floyd would make sense. Canelo won't be fighting Mayweather this year, and Amir Khan doesn't need to, either. Khan's an interesting dilemma in this case -- you risk him losing again if you wait around, and then you risk Mayweather-Khan never happening, but right now I don't think many people would buy Khan as any kind of legit threat to Floyd, either. Khan has to earn it, and frankly, Khan has been pretty high on the list of guys who have earned their spot in the sport, even coming in with a big push off of some Olympic glory and all that. He went from coddled to battle-hardened pretty fast. I know he can be obnoxious, but I don't think he gets enough credit for that. Devon Alexander is similar.
Anyway, one of the rematches could happen, or Cotto could face Canelo in December, potentially, according to Jim Lampley via a conversation with Richard Schaefer. The great thing for Cotto is that he still calls all his own shots with this stuff. He remains a free agent, a hired big-name gun worth plenty of money, and his performance against Mayweather, even in a losing effort, did nothing to harm his value. If anything, it upped the value.