There has been no animosity between Floyd Mayweather and Miguel Cotto in the buildup to Saturday night's fight. (Photo by Gene Blevins/Hoganphotos-Golden Boy Promotions)
Today's final press conference for Saturday night's Floyd Mayweather vs Miguel Cotto fight on HBO pay-per-view was fairly uneventful, with the fighters saying little and most of the event spent on Richard Schaefer and some guys who are helping promote the event at the building and all that.
But there were a few highlights, and they were:
- Nevada Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer made light of the thrones set-up a little bit, name-dropping 1980s WWF "Kings" Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Harley Race.
- Oscar De La Hoya spoke in a bored monotone and seemed like he would have much, much, much rather been playing some golf. Hopefully Oscar got 18 holes in after the presser.
- Pedro Diaz repeated the line he's used a lot lately, that fights are won in the ring, not by talking.
- Leonard Ellerbe stole the show by taking great offense to this, getting visibly upset about the cliche and telling Diaz to "keep (his) opinions to (himself)," because Diaz isn't one of the fighters. Ellerbe, who isn't even a trainer, then went on to offer many of his own opinions on how the fight would go. It was hilarious. He was offended that Diaz dared suggest that Papa Floyd might lose the fight. I really couldn't believe it. It was Ellerbe's best moment since he bowed up on Larry Merchant last September, and screamed at the little old man, "YOU HEARD WHAT HE SAID!" He was like the little dude hanging around Scut Farkus in A Christmas Story today. So awesome. So unintentionally embarrassing and funny.
- Richard Schaefer's Mexican history lesson.
- Jose Sulaiman, who inserted the WBC into this fight for no real reason other than he wants some more money, noted Mayweather's loyalty to the WBC as the key reason that he is a fine example "in life." Yeah. Alright then.
More photos from the presser after the jump. Remember that we'll have live streaming video and coverage of tomorrow's undercard press conference, featuring Canelo Alvarez and Shane Mosley.
Mayweather vs Cotto: Full Coverage
Purses: Cotto $8M, Canelo $1.2M | MGM Grand Arrival Photos | Video: Mayweather Speaking Out
Mayweather Conference Call Transcript | Mayweather Magazine
Mayweather Workout Photos | Cotto Workout Photos
All photos by Gene Blevins/Hoganphotos-Golden Boy Promotions