Because of last night's horrible judging of the Timothy Bradley-Manny Pacquiao fight, I've decided to conjure up a few of the worst judge's scores for big main event fights in boxing history, other than of course last night's bout. And by big main event fights I mean the hyped PPV events, the huge title belt fights, HBO/Shotime headliners etc. I'm not going to name every single one of them because there is more than just a few, but I'll mention the one's that I thought were pretty crazy.. Here we go...
- Joe Louis W 15 (PTS) vs. "Jersey" Joe Walcott - 12/05/47 Walcott undoubtably won the fight in my eyes, Walcott knocked the "Brown Bomber" down twice in the fight, also jabbing, circling, and out boxing him through out most of the fight. Judge's Scores: 9-6, 8-6, 6-7
- Jose Luis Ramirez W 12 (SD) vs. Pernell Whitaker - 03/12/88 This is was "Sweet Pea" Whitaker's first shot at a major title and he did not disappoint. "Sweet Pea" out boxed the reigning champ with ease. Unfortunately judges, Harry Gibbs and Louis Michel gave it to the favored Ramirez. Judge's Scores: 117-113, 113-118, 115-116
- Julio Cesar Chavez D 12 (PTS) vs. Pernell Whitaker - 09/10/93 Whitaker, no question won the fight. JCC won two rounds at the most. But, it seemed like judge's MIckey Vann and Franz Marti who scored the fight even, wanted to save Chavez's unblemished record. Judge's Scores: 113-115, 115-115, 115-115
- Shannon Briggs W 12 (MD) vs. George Foreman - 11/22/97 Briggs was hit by nearly every straight punch Foreman had. Judge's Scores: 117-113, 116-112, 114-114
- Felix Trinidad W 12 (MD) vs. Oscar De La Hoya - 09/18/99 De La Hoya clearly won the first eight rounds of the fight, then was urged by his corner that he was winning and to simply just run around the ring. Judges did not agree with DLH's corner. Judge's Scores: 115-113, 115-114, 114-114
- Oscar De La Hoya W 12 (UD) vs. Felix Sturm - 06/05/04 Sturm out boxed the out of shape "Golden Boy" for the vast majority of the fight. I guess the judge's figured "Hey let's just give DLH the fight, this would set up a fight with Benard Hopkins and bring in a lot of money." Then again that's just speculation. Judge's Scores: 115-113, 115-113, 115-113
- Joel Casamayor W 12 (SD) vs. Jose Armando Santa Cruz - 11/10/07 Santa Cruz was having the best performance of his entire career. Santa Cruz out punched, out fought, even knocked down Casamayor. Judge's Scores: 114-113, 114-113, 113-114
- Paul Williams W 12 (MD) vs. Erislandy Lara - 07/09/11 Lara caught Williams every time with that left hook.. every time. It was clear that Lara won the fight, except to the judges. Judge's Scores: 116-114, 115-114, 114-114
Well I'm just going to stop there, I'm going to eat some In-N-Out and frankly I've had enough with being reminded about these decision. I know I am missing other significant fights, which one's did I miss? What do you think of the fights I mentioned?
Was the Timothy Bradley-Manny Pacquiao fight the worst judging you have ever seen?
Yes (90 votes)
No (29 votes)
119 total votes