Victor Ortiz will need a win Saturday night if he's to secure a spot in September's PPV showdown against Saul Alvarez. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images for Studio 54)
We've got a trio of Showtime fights on the pick'em line-up this week, with the return of Victor Ortiz topping the bill.
Ortiz, who was last seen in a bizarre loss to Floyd Mayweather last September squres off against substitute Josesito Lopez in the main-event. The supporting attraction features Lucas Matthysse taking on Humberto Soto in a 140lb clash, and on the Showtime Extreme portion of the card, Jermell Charlo faces Denis Douglin in a 10-rounder.
Also on the game-sheet is the Friday Night Fights main-event, with Mike Dallas squaring off against Javier Castro, and Saturday's TeleFutura headliner between Rico Ramos and Efrain Esquivas.
For those that haven't played before, welcome to the best pick'em game going. Please join right in and start playing (just make sure to check out the rules - we promise they are very simple).
An explanation of how to fill out your selections appears at the bottom of this post - please follow these instructions as it makes it easier for us to tabulate the results quickly each week.
You can check out the current standings here.
Let’s get to the week 5 line-up…**** Remember you do not need to make a selection on every fight. If you are unfamiliar with any of the fighters, and don't want to risk points, you are free to PASS on any pick. You must make at least one selection to receive the 10 point participation bonus****
A. Pick the winner / Method of victory - Victor Ortiz vs Joseito Lopez (technical decision counts as decision, DQ counts as stoppage - Saturday, June 23)
1. Ortiz to win (any method) – risk 11.5 to win 1.5.
2. Ortiz by stoppage – risk 6.5 to win 6.5
3. Ortiz by decision – risk 5 to win 8.
4. Lopez (any method) – risk 1.5 to win 11.5.
B. *Over/Under - Victor Ortiz vs Josesito Lopez (Saturday, June 23)
1. Over 7 1/2 – risk 6.5 points to win 3.5.
2. Over 10 1/2 – risk 5 points to win 5.
3. Under 7 1/2 – risk 3.5 points to win 6.5.
4. Under 10 1/2 – risk 5 points to win 5.
*Over 7 1/2 = 8 full rounds completed, plus 1/2 round - fight must go past the 1:30 mark of Round 8.
C. Pick the winner - Lucas Matthysse vs Humberto Soto (Saturday, June 23)
1. Matthysse to win – risk 7 points to win 6.
2. Soto to win – risk 6 points to win 7.
D. Pick the winner / Method of victory - Lucas Matthysse vs Humberto Soto (technical decision counts as decision, DQ counts as stoppage - Saturday, June 23)
1. Matthysse by stoppage – risk 2 to win 8.
2. Matthysse by decision – risk 3.5 to win 6.5.
3. Soto by stoppage – risk 1 to win 9.
4. Soto by decision – risk 3.5 to win 6.5.
E. Pick the winner / Method of victory - Jermell Charlo vs Denis Douglin (technical decision counts as decision, DQ counts as stoppage - Saturday, June 23)
1. Charlo to win (any method) – risk 7 to win 2.
2. Charlo by stoppage – risk 2.5 to win 6.5.
3. Charlo by decision – risk 4.5 to win 4.5.
4. Douglin (any method) – risk 2 to win 7.
F. Pick the winner - Mike Dallas vs Javier Castro (Friday, June 22)
1. Dallas to win – risk 6.5 points to win 2.5.
2. Castro to win – risk 2.5 points to win 6.5.
G. Pick the winner - Rico Ramos vs Efrain Esquivas (Saturday, June 23)
1. Ramos to win – risk 6.5 points to win 2.5.
2. Esquivas to win – risk 2.5 points to win 6.5.
Please fill out your selections as follows:
Enter the LETTER of the fight first, then whether it’s a single (1), double (2) or triple (3) followed by the NUMBER of your pick and the NAME of the FIGHTER and METHOD of victory (where applicable).
**** You have 10 doubles and 5 triples to use over the 10 week season ****
For Selection A, if you want to use one of your doubles on Ortiz to win via any method...
A. (2) – 1 – Ortiz to win
For Selection B, if you want to pick the Over 10 1/2 without using a double or triple...
B. (1) – 2 - Over 10 1/2
For Selection C, if you want to use one of you triples on Soto to win...
C. (3) – 2 - Soto
For Selection D, if you wish to pass...