Now that the dust has settled over the type of boxing weekend that fans once dreamed of, I would like to pose a question to everyone regarding the execrably named Road to Glory show at Foxwoods Casino on the 29th of this month.
I love live boxing and take every opportunity I can to watch fights. However, i'm still on the fence about this card. A ticket will cost about $85 and i'm debating if this will be a good purchase or not.
After the fold, I'll give my opinion on the card as well as some pros and cons of attending the live fight.
The question I then pose to you, dear reader is, based on the facts what would you do?
Would you stay or go to this event?
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GqH21LEmfbQ?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GqH21LEmfbQ?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
According to boxrec, this is how the card stands right now:
Edwin Rodriguez vs Jason Escalera - Rodriguez is decent but doesn't really have that wow factor that makes me look forward to seeing him. Escalera from what I hear should give him a good fight. Could be some potential here.
Vic Darchinyan vs Luis Orlando Del Valle - Love Darchinyan, easily one of my favorite fighters. Always goes for broke and the opportunity to see him against a guy who will probably try to do the same against him is great.
Antonin Decarie vs Alex Perez - Terrible fight on paper. I can see this being a hugging/jab snoozefest.
Sonya Lamonakis vs Tanzee Daniel - No offense to women's boxing, but ive seen both of them fight before and it was terrible. The less said the better.
Let your opinion be known after we examine the pros and cons:
- Its live boxing, always good right?
- I get to see one of my favorite fighters in Vic Darchinyan
- The first two fights could be good.
- It's live boxing.....for $85 in addition to what I pay for HBO. Not exactly the best roster of fighters either.
- It's at Foxwoods - As far as prominent venues go, this is one of the worst. Its a concert hall with boxing forced into it and its difficult to see from the economical seats. It is frequented by the Noo Yawk, joizee shore types, who are obnoxious fans, never sit still and always walk around the aisles.
- I have to drive at least 1.5 hours to get there.
After seeing all that, what do you think? Would you go to a show like this?
After reading what I typed out, i'm leaning toward NO.
This is a lipstick on a pig type of card and I don't see why I should shell out cash and reward this type of behavior, especially in a shitty venue like this. What do you think? Would you go to this card for the cost or not?