Harry How - Getty Images
Super featherweight contender Juan Carlos Burgos says he's itching to take his mandatory crack at the WBO title held by Puerto Rico's Rocky Martinez.
Super featherweight contender Juan Carlos Burgos of Mexico says he's ready for another world title shot, and he's targeting newly-crowned WBO champion Rocky Martinez of Puerto Rico.
Martinez (26-1-1, 16 KO) defeated Miguel Beltran Jr in a great fight on the Chavez Jr-Martinez undercard on September 15 to win the vacant title, and Burgos is his mandatory challenger."I am ready for Rocky Martinez, he showed his ability on his fight against Beltran Jr., and was the deserving of the title, but I'm ready to challenge him for it," said Burgos in a press release.
Burgos has fought for a world title once before, losing to Hozumi Hasegawa with the vacant WBC featherweight title on the line two years ago in Japan. Since then, he's gone 5-0, with some solid wins over the likes of Luis Cruz, Cristobal Cruz, and Cesar Vazquez.
"I want to thank the WBO for giving me this opportunity which I had a chance for before. I won't let this one get away from me, I want to fulfill my destiny with the WBO belt around my waist, I just need to know the date so I can prepare to go to war with Martinez."
Burgos' promotional backers also believe he's ready.
"Juan Carlos has shown that he is more than ready for this opportunity", said Artie Pelullo of Banner Promotions. "He has defeated the best at 130 pounds and we are very confident that he will defeat Martinez in what should be a fabulous fight. This will be another classic fight between Puerto Rican and Mexican fighters."
"Juan Carlos is a young warrior that has been waiting for his shot at the title," said Alex Camponovo of Thompson Boxing. "We are confident he will make the best of it, but it will not be an easy task against a good fighter like Rocky Martinez. It should be a great fight for the fans, and we are proud to have gotten Burgos back where he belongs."
Martinez's side sounds ready for the fight, too, which is kind of irrelevant since it's mandatory and all, but Peter Rivera of Puerto Rico Best Boxing has acknowledged the fight, and says they have to make the bout in the next 90 days.