Paulie Malignaggi will defend the WBA welterweight title against Shane Mosley in a nonsensical matchup on April 27 at the Barclays Center, live on Showtime.
Unfortunately, it's going to happen. Paulie Malignaggi will defend his WBA welterweight title against 41-year-old Shane Mosley on April 27 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, with Showtime televising the bout as a main event.
My thoughts on this fight have been stated clearly, but I also feel like enough bad things can't be said about this fight. Somehow, Mosley, who hasn't won a fight in four years -- four years -- and didn't fight as a welterweight his last time out, and then announced a retirement, is ranked No. 14 by the WBA, which is something you'd like them to explain, but they won't give any real answer. I'm sure it's something to the effect of Shane Mosley is a legend, a great fighter, has proven himself over the years, blah blah blah.
As for Showtime, they have some questions to answer here, too. Why did the network buy this fight as a main event? Is this really something anyone is clamoring to see? A fight like this being bought by Showtime adds gas to the fire when people suggest that Golden Boy is too firmly entrenched with SHO Sports boss Stephen Espinoza, and that he's going to be too willing to buy lousy fights. We saw this happen at HBO when Golden Boy had a sweetheart deal there. When that expired, and Espinoza was hired at Showtime, they took the majority of their cards to Showtime. For the most part, the first year of that went well in 2012. We saw good things. This is not a good thing. This is the great fear, and worse, it could mean more fights like this one in the future.
Mosley (46-8-1, 39 KO) doesn't deserve a world title shot, even in boxing where world titles are generally questionable and contenders are often bogus.
"I looked in (Mosley's) eyes and told him he cannot make a lot of money and that a lot of people question whether he should fight. But I told him I will do what I can to give him the opportunity and that it would be up to him to prove that he has what it takes to be world champion again.
"I discussed the fight with the networks and Paulie and I felt Shane deserved the opportunity to fight for a world title again. He has accomplished so much and thrilled fight fans in so many fights, so I am happy to give him this opportunity."
But in the real world, not only has Mosley not won a fight in four years, but he has also been involved in nothing but bad fights since then. He was dreadful against Floyd Mayweather after two rounds, even worse against Sergio Mora, booed out of the building for his lousy performance against Manny Pacquiao, and served as a punching bag for Canelo Alvarez.
There's another question: Can this version Shane Mosley beat this version of Paulie Malignaggi? Maybe. I don't want to totally ignore that, because it would be dishonest. I don't think it's likely, but Malignaggi did just struggle with Pablo Cesar Cano, and he has nights where he's just not that sharp, like that one. If he looks like he did against Vyacheslav Senchenko, I don't think the 2013 version of Mosley stands a chance.
But ask yourself this, too: Is this the best Golden Boy could offer? Because that's the message they're sending.
If it turns out to be fun to watch on fight night, I'll gladly admit that. I will never say it was a good matchup, though, because it isn't. It makes no sense in the context of this being a sport, and it shouldn't be happening for various reasons.