39-year-old Fres Oquendo is holding on to the hope that he will land a fight in April with Wladimir Klitschko, saying he knows how to beat the champion.
Heavyweight veteran Fres Oquendo is holding out hope that he'll land an April 6 fight with world heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko, despite the fact that the Klitschko team has said the Puerto Rican isn't under consideration.
Oquendo (35-7, 23 KO) has won three in a row against marginal opposition. At age 39, he's been one of the hard-luck fighters of a generation, losing a handful of very debatable decisions.
"No one deserves the Klitschko fight more than me," Oquendo said in a press release. "I'm seeing these newcomer kids talking about how they deserve to fight Klitschko. I haven't lost a fight legitimately since 2006.
"In 2003, I had a world-title fight and lost an outrageous robbery against Chris Byrd. Byrd went on to lose the title that I should have won that night to Wladimir. So, if they hadn't stolen my title from me that night, I would have already had a fight against Wladimir! Me getting the fight against Wladimir is boxing karma making things right."
It seems entirely unlikely that Oquendo will get the chance to make the biggest money fight that he can, and a shot at glory against Wladimir, but he says he's ready and thinks he can win.
"I'm still as sharp as I've ever been and I know how to get to Wladimir," Oquendo added. "I've been trying to get him in the ring for years because I see what you need to do to beat him. Plus, if you put my resume next to anybody else's that they're talking about it's like a joke.
"Nobody else deserves this fight as much as I do. So let's get it done, call my promoter, Bobby Hitz, so I can start training to go over there and kick his ass."
Would Oquendo be an acceptable opponent at this point, given that Wladimir and Vitali have made mincemeat of the majority of the division's real contenders? Or is this a fight on the level of Klitschko-Mormeck from last year?