Robert Guerrero, who hasn't fought since getting outclassed on May 4 of last year against Floyd Mayweather, is seeking to end his relationship with Golden Boy Promotions through the California commission and an arbitrator.
Zabarauskas said the five-year contract that Guerrero signed with Golden Boy in December 2008, which would have expired last month, was extended in March as a prerequisite for Guerrero getting the fight with Mayweather.
Zabarauskas said that the contract extension would take Guerrero beyond the five-year limit for promotional contracts under California law. That is similar to the law that helped Oscar De La Hoya break his contract with Top Rank in 2001 and to the law that reigning super middleweight champion Andre Ward is using in his litigation to free himself from a promotional contract with Dan Goossen.
Guerrero (31-2-1, 18 KO) has surprised Golden Boy boss Richard Schaefer with the news:
"He made a career-high payday last year and we put him in with Andre Berto in a big fight before that," Schaefer said. "We gave him the exposure he wanted and he made a lot of money. I'm proud of how we have promoted Robert Guerrero and of the money we have made for him.
"The guy was on my ass to get him the Mayweather fight for a long time. Finally, I get him the deal and now he is unhappy. I don't understand."
Schaefer is mostly talking about what he did for Guerrero, and Golden Boy did some good things with Guerrero for sure. He says the contract is governed by New York, and not California, while Guerrero's lawyer contends that it's a California fighter and a California promoter, and thus the California commission can weigh in on the matter.
In short, those waiting for "The Ghost" to reappear can probably count that out for the time being. Until this matter is resolved -- one way or another -- he won't be back in the ring.