Golden Boy beats Top Rank in purse bid for Russell vs Lomachenko fight, scheduled for June 21

Ed Mulholland-USA TODAY Sports

Gary Russell Jr and Vasyl Lomachenko are set for a June 21 featherweight title fight on Showtime, after Golden Boy beat out Top Rank in today's purse bid.

Golden Boy Promotions outbid rival Top Rank by just $2,250 in a purse bid today for the vacant WBO featherweight title fight between Gary Russell Jr and Vasyl Lomachenko, and have scheduled the fight for June 21 on Showtime.

Golden Boy's winning bid was $1,052,250, with Top Rank offering $1,050,000 for the fight.

Russell (24-0, 14 KO) has been criticized for facing soft opposition as his career has (not) developed, which is basically the exact opposite of Lomachenko (1-1, 1 KO), the amateur superstar who tried to win a world title in his second pro fight against Orlando Salido on March 1, losing a split decision.

Lomachenko, 26, may have come up short, but it wasn't by much, and his performance against the gritty veteran Salido probably says more about his skill level than anything Russell, 25, has done in 24 professional fights. This is a matchup with a lot of talent, and should be a very interesting fight.

Lomachenko will get 60% of the bid ($631,350), with Russell making the remaining 40% ($420,900).

GBP CEO Richard Schaefer says the fight will "have nothing to do" with Top Rank, only that they'll have to sign the paperwork and have their fighter show up, which Top Rank VP Carl Moretti says he will. The bout will most likely take place in Carson, California.

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Bad Left Hook

You must be a member of Bad Left Hook to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Bad Left Hook. You should read them.

Join Bad Left Hook

You must be a member of Bad Left Hook to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Bad Left Hook. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5349_tracker