clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Oscar-Manny off the table; Pacquiao-Soto, Oscar-Mora move forward

Scott Christ is the managing editor of Bad Left Hook and has been covering boxing for SB Nation since 2006.

Box_g_mora_195_medium Source: Dan Rafael

As talks have died for a fight between Oscar de la Hoya and Manny Pacquiao on December 6, things are moving forward for a Pacquiao 135-pound title defense against Humberto Soto, and Oscar is moving on and trying to secure a bout with 154-pound titleholder Sergio Mora.

Pacquiao-Soto has been a desired fight for a while, just because it'll be a good scrap. But Oscar-Mora? It's a battle of Los Angeles -- which they should REALLY do in Los Angeles and not in Vegas, but then you'd think they'd have done Judah-Clottey in NYC. It would, hopefully, be for a title (Mora defends against Vernon Forrest on September 13).

On paper, it might not be the most exciting fight, but it does appear to be competitive. Mora's awkward style is going to be tough for anyone at 154, even though his lack of punching power hurt him at 160, I thought. Oscar is still good, but I do think Mora can beat him.

If the fight comes off -- and it hinges on Mora beating Forrest again, no easy task -- then Oscar will be the big betting favorite. At his age, could be a sucker's bet. It's sort of like Oscar-Forbes, except Mora's a lot bigger than Forbes.

Oscar sure has seen his alleged final fight go downhill, though, and I don't mean that as disrespect to Mora. It's gone from Mayweather to Cotto to Pacquiao and now Mora, and I don't even think Sergio would tell you he's as big a star as the other guys.

I do like that Mora's gained a sense of humor, or is at least sharing one now:

Mora said that he was excited about the prospect of fighting De La Hoya, 35, and would not let it get away from him. He had been skewered by critics for once rejecting a nearly $1 million offer to challenge then-middleweight champion Jermain Taylor because he was uncomfortable with the fight taking place in Memphis, Tenn., which isn't far from Taylor's Little Rock, Ark., hometown.

Mora, 27, said that would not happen this time.

"I'm taking this fight. If I don't take this fight, I'll start my own Web site and cuss myself out," he said with a laugh.

BLH user Option27 already theorized in the FanPosts that Oscar might just want to go out with a title. I think that is part of it. I think the other part is Mora looks like he's legitimately the biggest star out there...that Oscar is willing to tangle with.

This probably officially green-lights Margarito-Clottey II, as well. All in all, things could be worse.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Bad Left Hook Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your global boxing news from Bad Left Hook