- Nonito Donaire destroyed Manuel Vargas in a fight that was an even bigger mismatch than it looked to be on paper. Donaire looked like a giant compared to Vargas, and knocked him out on a delayed reaction shot in the third. No way in Hades that Vargas is as big as his listed size on Boxrec. Donaire towered over the little man in every way.
- Fernando Montiel destroyed Ciso Morales in a fight that was an even bigger mismatch than it looked to be on paper. Hmm, I feel like I'm repeating myself. Anyway, a single body shot put Morales down for the count. One might say that "Kid Terrible" is a pretty appropriate nickname for Morales after all.
- Eric Morel won a split decision over Gerry Penalosa. By most accounts, this was a pretty horrible decision. It was a close fight, but Penalosa won 7 or 8 rounds almost without question. Steve Kim, per twitter, called it "one of the worst decisions I've ever seen in my life." Doug Fischer echoed the sentiment that it was a robbery. Penalosa's been on the wrong end of a few of these in the past as well, and it's a shame to see such a warrior get gypped once again near the end of his career.
- Bernabe Concepcion won a decision over Mario Santiago in the fight of the night. While the scores were wider than they should have been, the judges seem to have gotten it right. Santiago fought his heart out, but he only won 5 rounds at most and Concepcion scored a knockdown.
- In Ireland, all of the favorites won their fights. Andy Murray scored a TKO of Oisan Fagan in round 5. Coleman Barrett won a decision to become Irish heavyweight champion. Alexei Acosta scored a 5th round TKO over Felix Machado in a pretty big step up fight.
- In Thailand, Prawet Singwancha put himself in line for another title fight, defeating Eusebio Baluarte, a Pinoy with a nice record but who hadn't fought anyone of substance. Terdsak Jendaeng also scored a win over an inexperienced opponent.
- Anyone remember Eric Fields, who was supposed to be the next big thing for the Americans at cruiserweight, but disappeared after getting knocked out by Ola Afolabi in an off-TV fight? He's been working his way back, and scored his third win since then, with a 3rd round TKO of Jeff Yeoman.
- Prospects all around the board won their fights. Matt Korobov, Diego Magdaleno, Mark Melligan, Ardian Krasniqi (brother of Luan and Haxhi) and Carlos Zarate Jr. (son of the hall of famer) all won their fights.
Top Rank card and other weekend results