The San Antonio Express-News reports that as had been rumored, a double-header appears likely for the Alamodome on February 4, featuring Julio Cesar Chavez Jr in the main event, and Nonito Donaire vs Wilfredo Vazquez Jr in the co-feature.
HBO will televise.
"We have a lot of work that needs to be done," Carl Moretti said. "Assuming those things get done, San Antonio is our first choice. ... There's never a down side in going to San Antonio. It may be the best fight town in Texas."
Chavez (44-0-1, 31 KO) is coming off of a pair of wins on HBO this year, defeating Sebastian Zbik on June 4 to win the vacant WBC middleweight title, and following that with a successful defense against Peter Manfredo Jr on November 19.
The 25-year-old Chavez has no opponent set, and there haven't been any strong rumors. The WBC has said repeatedly that they will enforce the mandatory challenger status of true division champion Sergio Martinez, but Martinez is currently locked into a March 17 date against Matthew Macklin, which is only awaiting an official announcement. If Martinez finalizes a fight, it would be difficult to blame Chavez for that or to strip him of his belt for not facing someone who isn't available.
One possibility could be Marco Antonio Rubio, who is also waiting on a title shot and fights this Friday in Mexico against Matt Vanda.
The co-feature is the fight more diehard boxing fans will care about anyway, as Donaire (27-1, 18 KO) moves up to the super bantamweight division to face Wilfredo Vazquez Jr (21-1-1, 18 KO), which would have the vacant WBO title on the line. That belt was recently given up by Jorge Arce, who defeated Vazquez on May 7 in one of the year's biggest upsets, and recently moved back down to claim a belt at bantamweight, which Donaire had vacated in his preparation to move up in weight.