clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Lopez Wants to Rematch Salido, Then Move Up; Controversy Continues Over Stoppage

Jhonny Gonzalez of BoxingScene.com reports today that Juan Manuel Lopez is hoping for an immediate rematch against Orlando Salido, then after will move up to 130 pounds permanently.

Lopez (30-1, 27 KO) was upset in Puerto Rico by Salido (35-11-2, 23 KO) on Saturday night, but controversy continues over the stoppage. Another report at BoxingScene.com says that Peter Rivera, who co-promotes Lopez with Puerto Rico Best Boxing, verbally complained to the boxing commission head Dommys Delgado Berty about the choice of referee, Roberto Ramirez. Berty told Rivera to file a formal complaint, but Rivera did not. Rivera's complaint was that he had been told Ramirez "wagered against" Lopez in his 2008 fight against Daniel Ponce de Leon.

While immediate rematches for sanctioning body titles are often hard to make, this one seems to line up right for all involved parties. It was a good fight, it can draw money in Puerto Rico or Mexico, and the finish has stirred up controversy.

As for Lopez's inevitable move to 130 pounds, it probably does need to happen, but more concerning are the reports from Bob Arum and rumors floated by others that Lopez got himself grossly out of shape between his November fight with Rafael Marquez and the fight on Saturday with Salido. Arum says that Lopez ballooned up to "180-190 pounds" by December, and Lopez's sluggish, flat-footed performance against Salido does indicate that there was something lacking in preparation, whatever it was.

Hopefully for Lopez, the loss was a wake-up call professionally. Undefeated records aren't the most important thing in the world, and it's gone and not coming back, so forget about that. If he doesn't get back to what he was doing before, a promising career could be wasted.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Bad Left Hook Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your global boxing news from Bad Left Hook