Lem Satterfield of BoxingScene.com reports today that Amir Khan has signed a new deal with Golden Boy Promotions. Richard Schaefer didn't give details, but says it's a "new multi-fight deal" signed last week.
Khan (25-1, 17 KO) fought in Manchester on Saturday, earning a technical decision, six-round shutout of Paul McCloskey. During fight week, Khan came off as distraught with the UK reception to his return to his home country. The McCloskey fight was bumped from Sky Box Office (PPV) to Sky Sports 3 and then finally to the lesser Primetime, another PPV channel. He told UK press that it would likely be a long time before he fought at home again, preferring to fight in the States, where his fights are televised by HBO without much hassle. HBO aired Khan-McCloskey on tape delay later in the evening.
At 24, Khan has become one of the leading stars at Golden Boy, so the deal makes sense for them. Their original contract did call for Khan to get a very high guarantee on every fight, but truth is he's at the point, and has the right backing, to make big money fights from here on. Next on the radar is apparently Timothy Bradley, which could happen July 23, and then Khan reportedly wants to take on Zab Judah. A move to welterweight is likely in 2012. There has even been talking of him fighting Wild Card Gym stablemate Manny Pacquiao sometime in the future, but how that would work is anyone's guess.