clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Orlando Salido vs Juan Manuel Lopez Rematch Targeted for Mid-August

New, comments

A rematch between Orlando Salido and Juan Manuel Lopez is being negotiated for August 13 or August 20, according to Jhonny Gonzalez of BoxingScene.com.

Fernando Beltran (Salido's promoter) and Bob Arum (Lopez's co-promoter) are on board with the idea, and Showtime is of course interested in the rematch. The fight was a barnburner on April 16, with Salido eventually stopping Lopez in one of the best fights and biggest upsets of the year.

Salido (35-11-2, 23 KO) has been previously reported as trying to land a celebratory-type defense in Mexico in July, but that might not happen if the August fight is being seriously pursued. Lopez (30-1, 27 KO) said from the get-go after the fight that he wanted an immediate rematch, and has also said he'll be taking his training camp to Florida (HE'S GONNA TAKE HIS TALENTS TO SOUTH BEACH! HAHAHA!) in order to avoid some of the distractions he may have had training at home in Puerto Rico.

Given that this was a big upset and that Lopez is the younger man, how do you see a rematch going right now? Lopez was just wide open for Salido all night and paid the price, and it's hard to take that cowboy mentality out of a fighter, no matter where he trains. Lopez gets hit a ton and just does not present a credible defense anymore. Do you figure the savvy veteran takes him apart again, or do you expect a refocused Lopez to have the answers this time?