Joseph Agbeko and Abner Mares have cemented a reschedule date for their canceled April bout. The two will finish up the Showtime bantamweight tournament on August 13, as previously reported.
"The talented and courageous men in this division have delivered some of the most memorable fights of the last decade," said Ken Hershman, Executive Vice President and General Manager of Showtime Sports. "This tournament concept has already delivered three excellent match-ups and the best is yet to come with this Final. I am proud of Joseph and Abner for staying on course to finish what they started. May the best man win."
Agbeko (28-2, 22 KO) was forced to withdraw during fight week when he was troubled by sudden onset sciatica after a long run in camp, then a long flight to Los Angeles. The 31-year-old Ghanaian contender's career was in at least some doubt with the injury, but he says he's back to normal.
"I have been receiving physical therapy treatments here in Accra and I am happy to report that my body has responded well," Agbeko said. "I feel healthy and stronger than ever and will be ready to fight on Aug. 13."
"I would like to thank Abner Mares and Showtime for giving me time to recover from this most unfortunate of injuries. I will forever remember their great sportsmanship during my time of trouble."
And Mares is ready for him.
"I'm excited to get the fight with Agbeko rescheduled so I can finish what I started and win the bantamweight tournament. It was unfortunate that Agbeko was injured in April, but I'm happy he has recovered and we have a date set now. I want to fight the best and I know I can beat the best. I will not rest until I become the best of the best in the bantamweight division."
Both fighters will have been off longer than preferred, but they're each no stranger to long layoffs. Mares missed 11 months between 2008 and 2009 with an injury, and Agbeko is promoted by Don King, which means he often sits around for a while.