Bernard Hopkins Being Honored in Philly, Event Open to the Public
46-year-old light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins will be honored in Philadelphia today at noon, in a celebration hosted by Mayor Michael Nutter. The event will take place at the famous "Rocky" statue at the Philadelphia Musem of Art. It's open to the public and those interested in going are encouraged to arrive early.
Bernard Hopkins being honored by the city of Philadelphia. Go figure.
ShoBox's June 10-11 Triple-Headers
Here are the full lineups for the back-to-back ShoBox triple-headers on June 10 and June 11.
- Cruiserweights (10): Lateef Kayode (16-0, 14 KO) vs Matt Godfrey (20-2, 10 KO)
- Super Bantamweights (10): Chris Avalos (18-1, 15 KO) vs Khabir Suleymanov (11-0, 5 KO)
- Lightweights (8): Archie Ray Marquez (12-0, 8 KO) vs Art Hovhannesyan (13-0-1, 7 KO)
- Junior Welterweights (10): Hector Sanchez (19-1, 9 KO) vs Vincent Arroyo (11-1, 7 KO)
- Featherweights (10): Luis Orlando Del Valle (12-0, 10 KO) vs Dat Nguyen (17-1, 6 KO)
- Middleweights (8): Jonathan Gonzalez (13-0, 13 KO) vs Richard Gutierrez (26-6-1, 16 KO)
The second night is part of the two-night "Boricua Invasion" series at the Roseland Ballroom in NYC. The previous night's show will be featured on Friday Night Fights, with Kenny Galarza (14-1, 14 KO) taking on Irving Garcia (17-6-3, 8 KO) in a ten-round welterweight bout, and then promising Thomas Dulorme (11-0, 10 KO) against DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley (37-17-1, 22 KO) in another 10 rounder at welterweight. All in all that's a couple of nights with a lot of real prospects worth checking out, and also Lateef Kayode. Ohhhh!
- There's a rumor that after Omar Narvaez's next title defense on 6/11 against William Urina, he'll look to move up to 118 pounds and face Vic Darchinyan. This seems more like an excuse to vacate his current title to avoid a rematch with Cesar Seda (who like Darchinyan is promoted by Gary Shaw) before he "can't come to terms" with Darchinyan and chases another gimme belt if the WBO can find one.
- A report by Mesuli Zifo says that Silence Mabuza will face Simphiwe Nongqayi in a bantamweight fight on June 11. Also, the report contains the information that Nongqayi (16-1-1, 6 KO) is 39 years old. Even BoxRec doesn't have this fight, so I don't know.
- Yori Boy Campas (97-15-1, 76 KO) will return on June 17 in another crappy fight against Rogelio Medina (25-1, 19 KO). Medina is 22, so he was almost two years away from birth when Campas turned pro in 1987. Medina's record is pretty but empty.
- Peltz Boxing sent out a release confirming "the fight they said couldn't be made." You guessed it! Harry Joe Yorgey vs Gabriel Rosado. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! It's on July 15.
Song of the Day