Day eight of boxing at the 2012 Olympics in London kicks off at 8:30 a.m. EDT today, with the men's round of 16 coming to a close. Three divisions are up this morning and afternoon: Light flyweight, light welterweight, and light heavyweight.
ALL OF THE LIGHTS!
CNBC is live again today for American viewers. Or you can watch almost-live at NBCOlympics.com.
Since it's three-deep in divisions today, let's do a top five reasons to watch instead of top three:
1. (Light Flyweight) Zou Shiming (China) vs Yosbany Veitia (Cuba): This is a chance to see China's Zou Shiming, the 2008 gold medalist, in what could be his final Olymics -- and against a guy who looked fantastic in round one. Veitia set the still-standing tournament high score of 26 in a blowout over Australia's Billy Ward in round one.
2. (Light Heavyweight) Yamaguchi Falcao (Brazil) vs Fanlong Meng (China): Falcao edged Sumit Sangwan, 15-14, in the first round, while Fanlong Meng was dominant (17-8) against Morocco's Ahmed Barki.
3. (Light Welterweight) Everton Lopes (Brazil) vs Roniel Iglesias (Cuba): Lopes is the top seed in the division, while Iglesias rolled past Colombia's Cesar Villarraga, 20-9, in the round of 32.
4. (Light Flyweight) Mark Barriga (Philippines) vs Birzhan Zhakypov (Kazakhstan): Barriga alone is reason to watch. Zhakypov outlasted the aggressive Jeremy Beccu of France, 18-17, following the Filipino's electric performance, beating Manuel Cappai, 17-7.
5. (Light Heavyweight) Damien Hooper (Australia) vs Egor Mekhontcev (Russia): World No. 2 Hooper faces fourth-seeded Mekhontcev. Hooper delivered the first loss for Team USA, which certainly wasn't the last.
Full schedule is after the jump.
Light Flyweight (108 lbs/49kg) (8/4)
8:30 a.m. - Zou Shiming (China) vs Yosbany Veitia (Cuba)
8:45 a.m. - Mark Barriga (Philippines) vs Birzhan Zhakypov (Kazakhstan)
9:00 a.m. - Paddy Barnes (Ireland) vs Thomas Essomba (Cameroon)
9:15 a.m. - Devendro Singh Laishram (India) vs Pürevdorjiin Serdamba (Mongolia)
Light Welterweight (141 lbs/64kg) (August 4)
9:30 a.m. - Everton Lopes (Brazil) vs Roniel Iglesias (Cuba)
9:45 a.m. - Uktamjon Rahmonov (Uzbekistan) vs Yakup Sener (Turkey)
10:00 a.m. - Daniyar Yeleussinov (Kazakhstan) vs Mehdi Toloutibandpi (Iran)
10:15 a.m. - Gyula Kate (Hungary) vs Vincenzo Mangiacapre (Italy)
Light Heavyweight (178 lbs/81kg)
10:30 a.m. - Julio Cesar La Cruz (Cuba) vs Ihab Almatbouli (Jordan)
10:45 a.m. - Yamaguchi Falcao (Brazil) vs Fanlong Meng (China)
11:00 a.m. - Elshod Rasulov (Uzbekistan) vs Yahia El Mekachari (Tunisia)
11:15 a.m. - Damien Hooper (Australia) vs Egor Mekhontcev (Russia)