clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Andre Ward ready for Gennady Golovkin, not sure Golovkin wants the fight

New, 140 comments

Andre Ward says he's ready to fight anyone, including Gennady Golovkin. But Ward isn't so sure that Golovkin wants the fight.

Harry How

Andre Ward returned last night with a one-sided win over Edwin Rodriguez on HBO, and now the question is who's next at 168 pounds for the in-reality undisputed king of the super middleweight division. Outside of WBO titlist Robert Stieglitz, there are really no top super middleweights that Ward hasn't already beaten, as he holds wins over Carl Froch, Mikkel Kessler, Sakio Bika, Arthur Abraham, and Rodriguez, as well as a win last year over Chad Dawson, who came down from 175 for the fight.

While a rematch with Froch -- who fights this coming Saturday against George Groves -- has been discussed quite a bit, the other and perhaps more interesting possibility at 168 is WBA middleweight titleholder Gennady Golovkin, who has said he's open to fighting anyone from 154 to 175 or whatever.

Ward (27-0, 14 KO) isn't so sure that Golovkin and his team actually want the fight. From Mike Coppinger at BoxingScene.com:

"You guys make these guys out to be bogeymen and monsters. We as fighters, we don't think like that. I respect (Golovkin), but I see holes in his game. ... Ask them if they want it at 168 (pounds) right now. I don't see them asking for that. I see them saying anybody from 160 to 175, but when they're pressed, I don't see him calling me out. Stop beating around the bush and get straight to it."

Golovkin (28-0, 25 KO) last fought on November 2, stopping Curtis Stevens after eight rounds. He's currently set to return on February 1 in Monte Carlo, which won't be an HBO-televised fight.

Do you expect Ward-Golovkin to happen in 2014?