clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Frank Warren planning to sue Ricky Burns for Matchroom jump

Promoter Frank Warren says that he's planning to sue WBO lightweight titlist Ricky Burns, who left his stable and signed today with Matchroom Boxing.

Scott Heavey
Scott Christ is the managing editor of Bad Left Hook and has been covering boxing for SB Nation since 2006.

Frank Warren may be reeling at the moment, but the veteran promoter says he won't go down without a fight. After losing George Groves and Ricky Burns in the last week, Warren put out a press release today saying he plans to sue Burns for damages.

Here's the full release:

Since being promoted and managed by Frank Warren, Ricky Burns has earned just approaching three quarters of a million pounds and has had 7 world title fights in just over two years. Ricky Burns is under binding promotional and management contracts.

Following the announcement by Eddie Hearn that Ricky Burns has signed with him, W. Promotions Limited and Frank Warren are suing Burns for substantial damages.

Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy was quick to distance himself from the rumors that his company had contacted Burns about signing with them, noting that Burns had a promotional contract with Warren, which it seems pretty clear is the case. One has to guess, I think, that Matchroom sees themselves in the clear here, or else it's a pretty dangerous game to be playing. They've announced a May 11 return date for Burns, but who knows? If this gets legal in a hurry, he could be on the sidelines for a while.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Bad Left Hook Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your global boxing news from Bad Left Hook