48-year-old light heavyweight titleholder Bernard Hopkins says he's pulling for Carl Froch to beat Mikkel Kessler in their May 25 rematch in London, as he'd love to set up a fight in the UK against Froch after their upcoming bouts.
Hopkins faces Karo Murat on July 13 in Brooklyn. Here's what he told the Daily Mail:
"Froch is top of my wish list. I have great respect for him as a fighter. He is very exciting and our styles would make for a great fight. I will happily go over to the UK to make it happen but of course Carl will have to beat Kessler first. I am rooting for him to do it and I think he will win this time."
Froch is also high on the fight:
"Hopkins and me would be a huge money fight. First I have to focus on beating Kessler but I admire Bernard. He keeps in fantastic condition and would present a very awkward challenge."
Hopkins (53-6-2, 32 KO) broke his own record as the oldest man to ever win a major title boxing history, beating Tavoris Cloud in March. Froch (30-2, 22 KO) last fought in November, easily defeating Yusaf Mack, and also decimated previously-unbeaten Lucian Bute to win the IBF super middleweight title last year.
If the fight were to happen, Hopkins can't make 168 anymore -- and won't try -- but there could be a catchweight involved. Something like 172 pounds would make some sense, and allow for Bernard's IBF light heavyweight belt to be on the line. Hopkins feels the fight is bigger than titles, but we'll see if the weight would be any real sticking point. By all accounts, the 35-year-old Froch has no issue making the super middleweight limit, and has never seriously considered moving up in weight.