Miguel Cotto's October 5 fight will be made totally official tomorrow with a press conference, and as previously reported, the opponent will be Delvin Rodriguez. HBO will televise the fight, which Top Rank will co-promote with Cotto's company. Top Rank will also stream the press conference tomorrow at 2:00 pm EDT.
Cotto (37-4, 30 KO) last fought in December 2012, losing a decision to Austin Trout at Madison Square Garden. He also lost last year to Floyd Mayweather, though he was much more competitive than most had expected going in. At 32, Cotto says he's only got three fights left in his career, and he's also partnering up with Freddie Roach for this fight, and in theory for the other two bouts as well. Roach said recently that he wants to see more hunger from Cotto.
Rodriguez (28-6-3, 16 KO) has won two straight since his own loss to Trout in June 2012, winning fights on ESPN Friday Night Fights against George "Comanche Boy" Tahdooahnippah and Freddy Hernandez, both by stoppage. The 33-year-old Rodriguez has been a fringe contender for years now.
Terence Crawford will be in the HBO co-feature on the show, which will take place at the Amway Center in Orlando.