Julio Cesar Chavez Jr was supposed to return in June, and then August, and then September 7. Now, that date has also been canceled, as Chavez has reportedly been cut on the eyelid in training camp a little under a month from the fight, and will need time to heal up.
Chavez (46-1-1, 32 KO) has not fought since September 15, 2012, when he suffered his first pro loss to Sergio Martinez. Since then, it's been a debacle. Chavez failed a post-fight drug test, coming up positive for marijuana, and was later suspended nine months and fined by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. After the failed drug test, he and WBC boss Jose Sulaiman had a falling out, which was later patched up.
This year, Nevada finally got around to suspending Chavez, who later said he'd stay with trainer Freddie Roach, only to part ways with him rather quietly (Roach says Chavez simply no-showed training). And THEN, Chavez "fired" his father from his team, which was also patched up shortly after. Chavez also looked pretty seriously out of shape at his brother Omar's fight in Nevada.
So in other words, the fact that this fight is being pushed back again is hardly a surprise. Expect rampant and irresponsible! speculation that Chavez just can't get to 168 in the next four weeks, like that time he scrapped a fight when he had an ill-advised practice bout with a ceiling fan and suffered a cut.
No new date for Chavez-Vera has been reported. Along with Chavez-Vera, the vacant WBO junior middleweight title fight between Demetrius Andrade and Vanes Martirosyan will also be postponed.