Tonight at 10 pm EST on ESPN2, a special show in memory of promoter Dan Goossen will air from the Pechanga Casino in Temecula, California. BLH will have live coverage for the show. The fights will also stream live on WatchESPN.com.
In the main event, former junior middleweight titlist Austin Trout (27-2, 14 KO) will face Luis Grajeda (18-3-2, 14 KO) in a 10-round bout. Grajeda, 27, is 1-2-1 in his last four bouts, notably including a pretty wide loss in August to Willie Nelson. His last fight was a win over a 2-15 fighter on November 15.
Trout, 29, snapped a two-fight losing streak with a victory over Daniel Dawson on August 22, and he's more or less rebuilding his career at lower levels despite the fact that not long ago, he beat Miguel Cotto in Madison Square Garden. Trout's defeats against Canelo Alvarez and Erislandy Lara don't drop him from contention or anything, but right now he's just staying busy. Grajeda has some power and could be dangerous, but Trout is the heavy favorite.
Also featured on the broadcast will be 46-year-old Antonio Tarver (30-6, 21 KO), who will face Johnathon Banks (29-2-1, 19 KO) in a 10-round heavyweight fight. Tarver is 2-0 at the weight, sandwiching a pair of cruiserweight fights between those bouts, but hasn't fought in over a year, either. Banks is a decent opponent considering Tarver's true level these days, and shouldn't be counted out by any means. This is probably 50-50 on paper.
Tyson Cave (24-2, 8 KO) will face Oscar Escandon (23-1, 16 KO) in a 12-round super bantamweight fight, too, with the interim WBA title on the line. The WBA also has a super champion in Guillermo Rigondeaux and a regular "world" champion in Scott Quigg, so as you can see, the interim title is very necessary.
Other matchups set for tonight's show, just so you have the full rundown:
- Edwin Rodriguez (25-1, 16 KO) vs Derrick Findley (21-13-1, 13 KO), light heavyweights, 10 rounds
- Dominic Breazeale (12-0, 11 KO) vs Epifanio Mendoza (40-19-1, 34 KO), heavyweights, 8 rounds
- Terrell Gausha (12-0, 6 KO) vs Cesar VIla (7-1, 3 KO), middleweights, 8 rounds
- Gerald Washington (14-0, 10 KO) vs Mike Sheppard (22-17-1, 9 KO), heavyweights, 8 rounds
- Marcus Browne (12-0, 9 KO) vs George Blades (23-6, 16 KO), light heavyweights, 8 rounds
- Rico Ramos (23-4, 12 KO) vs Juan Ruiz (24-15, 7 KO), featherweights, 8 rounds
- Sergio Mora (26-3-2, 9 KO) vs Dashon Johnson (15-17-3, 5 KO), super middleweights, 8 rounds
- Ahmed Elbiale (7-0, 7 KO) vs Lawrence Blakey (2-2, 1 KO), light heavyweights, 6 rounds
- Vatch Martirosyan (3-0, 2 KO) vs Eddie Diaz (0-2, 0 KO), welterweights, 4 rounds
- Malcolm McAllister (debut) vs Fernando Najera (1-5, 0 KO), super middleweights, 4 rounds