clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Vitali Klitschko won't return to boxing

Vitali Klitschko says he's not going to make any comeback in the sport of boxing, as he's now fully focused on politics in Ukraine.

Scott Christ is the managing editor of Bad Left Hook and has been covering boxing for SB Nation since 2006.

Vitali Klitschko has ruled out a boxing comeback, as the 42-year-old, two-time former WBC heavyweight champion has decided to leave the sport behind for good and focus on his political career in Ukraine.

Klitschko intends to run for President in his home country, where he has become a noted political figure. He says even his family has taken a backseat to his political aspirations.

"I'm not going back into the sport," Klitschko told the 112 Ukraine television network. "It will forever remain in my heart, but recently I've had no time to train ... When I come home at night, my kids are in bed, and when I leave they're still asleep. They even go on vacation without me."

Klitschko last fought in September 2012, beating Manuel Charr in Moscow, and last year relinquished the WBC heavyweight title, which is still vacant and set to be filled by the winner of the Bermane Stiverne-Chris Arreola rematch on May 10.

If Klitschko is indeed retired -- and there's no reason to think this is one of the usual boxing "retirements" -- he'll leave the sport with a record of 45-2 (41 KO), and as one of the most respected fighters of his era.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Bad Left Hook Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your global boxing news from Bad Left Hook