clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Anthony Mundine open to facing Ishe Smith on May 2

New, comments

Anthony Mundine probably won't get the call to face Ishe Smith on May 2, but if he does, he says he'd take the fight.

Mark Metcalfe

Anthony Mundine was destroyed last week against Joshua Clottey, knocked down five times en route to a decision loss in Australia, but "The Man" not only has no plans to retire, but says he's willing to face Ishe Smith on May 2 in Las Vegas, now that Erislandy Lara is out of that fight to instead face Canelo Alvarez on July 12.

"I am physically sweet after the Clottey fight and would fight Smith if I got the offer. I know I fought the wrong fight against Clottey, and I also know I'm way better than that. I need to get back in the winner's circle and prove I'm still a force, preferably at middleweight, as light middle is getting very tough to make. Say that, I will fight at 154 for the right fight."

Mundine (46-6, 27 KO) has fought once in Las Vegas, a 2012 fight against Bronco McKart that WealthTV was swindled into backing as an American pay-per-view, which might have been bought by upwards of 22 people, and drew about that many to the show at the Palms.

But I do like Mundine's gumption here. I've sort of softened on him over time, which I think is the exact opposite of what Aussie fight fans have done. But I haven't been overwhelmed with his hype and interviews and whatnot, I suppose, so that's a big difference.

I also doubt he'll get the call to face Smith when there are plenty of other, cheaper options for a FOX Sports 1 fight, but I think I'd rather see Mundine than a lot of the guys we might get instead.