Miguel Cotto and Sergio Martinez both made weight for tomorrow night's HBO pay-per-view main event, with Martinez's WBC and Ring Magazine middleweight championship on the line at Madison Square Garden.
Cotto weighed in first (the last thing he'll be doing first this weekend), and came in at 155 pounds, four pounds under the fight's 159-pound catchweight, and likely a sign that he didn't want to put on weight to fight as a middleweight for the first time, instead opting to stay comfortable and strong, and avoid any sluggishness possible by fighting heavier than he's used to doing. Cotto (38-4, 31 KO) looked trim and fit and all those words people love to use. "Ready."
Martinez (51-2-2, 38 KO) weighed in at 158¾, barely under the limit, but comfortably where he usually weighs in, anyway. This is his first fight in a little over 13 months, and there's plenty of concern about not just ring rust, but his surgically-repaired knee, and what kind of shape he's in overall at 39 years of age.
HBO Pay-Per-View Undercard (9:00 pm EDT)
- Opener, 10 Rounds: Andy Lee 154 vs John Jackson 152
- Second Fight: Jorge Melendez 153 vs Javier Maciel 154
- Third Fight: Wilfredo Vazquez Jr 126 vs Marvin Sonsona 126 (rematch)
Top Rank TV Streaming Undercard (6:00 pm EDT)
- 4 Rounds: Janthony Ortiz 113½ vs Elio Ruiz 112
- 8 Rounds: Willie Nelson 157 vs Darryl Cunningham 156½
- 8 Rounds: Jose Pedraza 132½ vs Arturo Uruzquieta 131½
- 8 Rounds: Jose Lopez 121 vs Raul Hidalgo 122
- 6 Rounds: Felix Verdejo 134½ vs Engelberto Valenzuela 134½