clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Kell Brook recovering, December title defense off

New, comments

Kell Brook is expected to return back home soon after recovering from a stabbing attack in Tenerife. He will not be able to make his first title defense in December.

Stephen Dunn

As most of you have heard by now, newly crowned welterweight titlist, Kell Brook, was stabbed in an 'unprovoked attack' last week while vacationing in the Spanish island of Tenerife. Brook lost a lot of blood after the attack and had to undergo immediate surgery for the wound to his leg.

He spent the last several days recovering in Candelaria Hospital and now looks to return back home to rest, recover, and rehab. Speaking from the hospital bed, Brook released the following statement:

"I was out enjoying a night out before returning home to the UK when I was the victim of an unprovoked attack," Brook said on Friday. "I'm devastated right now after being on such a high having achieved my dream of becoming world champion in Los Angeles last month. This is obviously a major setback but the thought of defending my title is what's keeping me positive right now."

"I want to thank everyone for their support and ask for privacy for myself and my family at this time. Make no mistake - I will be back."

Eddie Hearn, Brook's promoter, flew to Tenerife to check up on his fighter and said that the scheduled December 6th title defense in Sheffield is now unrealistic and that Brook will not likely be back until 2015.